Who's Who in Residence
When you look around your residence, you’ll see many faces – both student and staff. We’d like to introduce your residence team and talk a little about their roles within your community.
Residence life managers (RLMs)
- Full-time professional staff who live in residence and develop educational, social, and personal growth programs.
- Train and supervise residence assistants (RAs).
- Advise and counsel students.
Residence Assistants (RAs)
- Student leaders who live in residence.
- Carefully selected and receive extensive training in maintaining community standards, community programming/development and crisis management.
- Also trained in peer counselling but are not professional counsellors, but do their best to help you work through any difficulties and refer you to appropriate campus resources.
Assistant Directors, Facilities Operations
- Full-time staff who are responsible for the year-round operation of residence buildings.
- Oversee Front Desk, Commissionaires and Custodial staff.
- Priority is to maintain a comfortable and safe living environment while ensuring regular maintenance and timely repairs in the building.
Front desk staff
- Full and part-time staff who are available to students 24-hours-a-day at Howe, Risley, Shirreff, LeMarchant, and Gerard Halls.
- The first point of contact for residence visitors.
- Sort mail, serve as a message centre for residents, take maintenance requests and answer questions from both residents and guests.
Dining hall and food services staff
- Aramark, Dalhousie’s Food Services partner, prepares a wide variety of quality food options on an “all-you-care-to-eat” basis.
- Full-time dietician available to meet with students.
- Open door policy for students – drop by their office anytime.
Custodial and maintenance services (utility services personnel)
- Full-time staff help maintain the cleanliness of the building.
- If you have a question or concern regarding custodial service, please contact your Facilities Manager.
- Monitor the maintenance request forms you submit and ensure repair jobs are addressed promptly.
- Full- and part-time staff who handle administrative functions from offices at 6230 Coburg Road (traditional/non-traditional residences).
- Process applications and room assignments for all buildings and handle all residence deposits.
- Manage holiday stays, exam extensions, early arrivals and room transfers. How to request a room transfer [PDF - 486 KB].