What is it?
If you have a family member or friend who wants to visit you from your home country (this includes to attend convocation), you will need to write a letter of invitation to enable them to apply for a temporary resident visa.
A letter of invitation is a written invitation by the student in Canada inviting his or her family member to visit Canada. A letter of invitation does not guarantee that a visa will be issued. Visa officers assess the applicant to determine whether they meet the requirements of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and Regulations.
Why do you need it?
A letter of invitation is used to support visitors immigration application to enter Canada.
When do you need it?
A letter of invitation will be required when the family member or friend applies to enter Canada. This may be to attend your convocation or to visit you. You must make sure you send this letter to them at your earliest convenience to enable your visitor to apply for their temporary resident visa. Check the convocation website for convocation dates.
How do I write my Letter of Invitation?
We have a pdf guide to help you, which includes a sample letter. You can also find information on the Immigration, Refugee, and Citizenship Canada's website.
Also consider sending the following documents along with the letter of invitation:
- Photocopies of pages of your passport
- Copy of your study permit
- Letter from the registrar’s office saying that you are a student of Dalhousie University
- If you are directly responsible for your family member's expenses provide proof of means of financial support
Please Note: You should not use your personal MyCIC account to apply for a visitor visa application for a family member. Your family member should create their own account if they plan on applying online.
Meet with an International Student Advisor
- Call 902.494.1566 (Halifax) or 902.893.4939 (Truro)
- Email email@example.com. Please include your student number in the subject line and in the body of the email, include your name, your citizenship(s), Permit/Visa expiration dates (if applicable) and if you are currently in Canada (YES or NO).
- Book an appointment via MyDal under "Find a service"
- Or drop by one of our locations across campus.