Fall Community Update

Dalhousie recognizes and understands that the back-to-school time of year brings increased activity in the community near the university, and concerns for our surrounding neighbours. With changes created by COVID-19, we recognize this year is different than usual. 

Here are some initiatives Dalhousie and our partners have undertaken to encourage positive student and community relations:

  • Memos from the President, Provost, Vice Provost of Student Affairs and other senior leaders, including memos from August 20 and August 21 with NS Government rules for post-secondary students arriving in the province from outside Atlantic Canada, including self-isolation and testing protocols for students.
  • Frequent communications to students to promote safety, health, and wellbeing
  • New Dal Mobile app designed for students to push information about safety, health and respectful conduct
  • Notices from Dalhousie and City Councillor Waye Mason encouraging respectful conduct and expectations for students living off-campus, including our September Community Update which was distributed to over 3500 households around the Dal community [PDF-247KB]
  • Visits from the Halifax Regional Police to private, off-campus residences to communicate respectful behaviour and consequences of breaking both criminal laws and COVID-19 public health regulations
  • Dal Security patrols of all Dalhousie campuses 24/7 to limit gatherings and other infractions related to public health protocols

Steps to be taken when student behaviour falls short depends on context. Dalhousie’s Code of Student Conduct applies to:

  • conduct that occurs on Dalhousie property;
  • conduct that adversely affects, disrupts or interferes with another person’s reasonable participation in Dalhousie University programs or activities (which could include off-campus conduct by students living in residence);
  • conduct that occurs in the course of activities sponsored by Dalhousie; and
  • conduct in the context of a relationship between the student and third party and involves the student’s standing, status, or academic record at Dalhousie. 

Off-campus conduct is governed by the same rules and enforced by the same processes that apply to all residents of Halifax. Notably, for matters related to the Criminal Code and disregard for public health protocols in the greater Halifax community, enforcement rests with the Halifax Regional Police. Similarly, by-law issues are dealt with by HRM by-law enforcement officers.

While we recognize the limits of our authority, we are committed to working closely with our community partners. Dalhousie continues to actively support Halifax Regional Police in their work off-campus, in deterring unsafe and disruptive student behaviour in our surrounding communities. Through regular check-ins with HRP, efforts are made to proactively monitor and respond to potential risks, involving unsafe student behaviour off-campus.

In addition, Dalhousie does not host a university sanctioned "homecoming" event in the fall – the university’s Advancement team hosts alumni events (in the form of lectures, class reunions and alumni awards) during spring convocation.

For immediate issues or emergencies in the neighbourhood surrounding Dalhousie, calls should be directed to:

  • 902-490-5020 – Halifax Regional Police non-emergency line 
  • 311 – HRM municipal services contact centre
  • 911 – emergencies only