Today@Dal» Go to news main
11‑ to 12‑year‑olds needed for fun study on sharing and similarity
The Early Social Development Lab (ESDL) at Dalhousie University is looking for 11- to 12-year olds to participate in a study on similarity and sharing . To participate in this study, children must be typically developing and fluent in English.
In this study, we will ask your child to tell us about something they are interested in (e.g., favourite game) and to rate how much they like it. Next, your child will be shown drawings of three other children. We will introduce one of them as having the same interest as your child, one as having a different interest, and one whose interests we aren’t sure about. Your child will then be asked to finish a "search & find" task that they will be told was started by one of the other children in which they are asked to find and circle specific symbols on a piece of paper. Lastly, your child will play a sharing game where they will be asked to decide whether or not to share with each of the three children. This study will allow us to see whether children are more willing to share with others with whom they share a common interest with compared to children whose interests are different than their own.
This study involves one ~35 minute visit to the ESDL at Dalhousie University. In general, we’re available 7 days a week and at flexible times to accommodate your family’s schedule. We have reserved parking for parents and children receive a certificate and stationery set as a thank-you for coming in. Families are also entered in a draw for a chance to win 1 of 3 prizes: $100 Grocery Store Gift Card, Family Movie Pass, or a Restaurant Voucher.
If you are interested in learning more or participating, please contact ESDL Lab Coordinator Stef Hartlin at email@example.com or 902 494 6106.
- Offices of the President, Vice President Finance and Administration and Provost and Vice President Academic Moving
- We are seeking individuals and families with Breast Cancer Survivor experiences.
- Part‑Time Academic Posting ‑ Department of Engineering, Faculty of Agriculture
- Part‑Time Academic Postings ‑ School of Health Sciences/Faculty of Health
- Do you know a student who would benefit from one‑on‑one advising?
- Scholarship @ Dal Libraries ‑ New series starting fall 2018
- Call for Winter Clothing Drive
- Senate Agenda for October 22, 2018