Today@Dal» Go to news main
Career Counselling ‑ Groups and Workshops
Multiple Mini Interviews: An Introduction for Pharmacy Applicants
This interactive workshop is designed to increase your understanding of how to prepare professionally and effectively for those Pharmacy School Admission Interviews which utilize the Multiple Mini Interview (MMI) protocol.
In one 90 minute session you will:
• examine the purpose, structure and protocol of the MMI process.
• review types of stations, stems and evaluation criteria.
• practice assessing non-cognitive traits.
• examine questions and your answers while receiving peer feedback and support.
• develop preparation strategies through role-plays and discussions.
• increase your confidence as you reduce your stress and anxiety.
All role-playing and practise opportunities are offered in a confidential and supportive environment.
Thursday, 11 February, 2016
Room 426, 4th Floor, Student Union Building
Dental School Admission Interviews
Day: Wednesday, 24 February, 2016
Location: Room 426 , 4th Floor, SUB
This interactive workshop is designed to increase your understanding of how to respond professionally and effectively during your Dental School Admission Interview.
In one 90 minute workshop you will:
· learn how successful students prepare for interviews.
· examine the qualities and characteristics that are associated with success.
· review the stages and tasks of the professional interview.
· examine what admission committees look for during interviews.
· discuss how admission committees design questions.
· develop strategies for answering questions.
· practise and receive feedback to learn how to improve your answers.
· learn how to reduce stress and anxiety.
· learn about other helpful supports and resources on campus.
All role-playing and practise opportunities are offered in a safe, confidential and supportive environment.
Communication Skills for Pre-Pharmacy Students
Thursdays: February 25, March 3, 10, and 17, 2016
4th Floor, Student Union Building
Whether speaking with a patient, providing consultation to a physician, or discussing an issue with another health care colleague, pharmacists actively listen for understanding, empathy and accuracy. Active listening enhances conversations and is an essential counselling skill.
These skills are valuable when working with patients and colleagues and will improve how you communicate in your personal relationships. They are also very helpful in preparation for the communication scenarios you will experience if the School of Pharmacy you are applying to uses the multiple mini interview (MMI) protocol.
This four session experiential program is a highly practical and interactive opportunity to enhance your communication skills by:
· examining the skills of effective listeners;
· reflecting on your communication style;
· identifying common communication problems and barriers;
· examining the role of non-verbal communication;
· refining effective questioning skills;
· increasing your ability to listen empathically; and
· developing and practicing listening and responding skills.
You will be working both individually and in small groups on a variety of exercises, discussions and skill building role-plays. Practice and skill development is done in a safe and supportive environment.
Space is Limited. To Register: login: myCareer.dal.ca (use event calandar)
Jeanette Hung MEd (Counselling) CCC, RCT, is the Career Counselling Services Coordinator, Counselling Services. Jeanette has provided numerous MMI workshops and Practise Clinics to pre-med and pre-pharmacy students, as well as communication and presentation workshops to medical students, residents, fellows, staff and students at Journal Clubs and at Grand Rounds.
- Job posting
- Employment Opportunity: Part‑time Academic Posting in the Contemporary Studies Program
- Teaching Assistant Posting ‑ SCIE 1111.03 Writing for the Sciences
- Job postings
- Teaching Assistant/Marker postings: Dept of Animal Science and Aquaculture
- Parking closures June 28: CSB Lot and Parkade
- Job postings: Residence Life
- Being an Entrepreneur: how to overcome challenges, when to Pivot and how ‑ A Fireside Chat Panel