Mathematics & Statistics» Go to news main
Math Club Success
The Dalhousie Math Challenge Club meets every Monday night is aimed at junior high students who are excited about mathematical problem solving, but strong elementary school students are welcome as well, and if there is interest we will expand to include high school students.
Currently there are about 25 students attending the club, taught by Professor Dorette Pronk with the help of Dr Christopher Duffy and Dr Marzieh Bayeh. The students get together every Monday from 5 till 7 PM for math problems and pizza. The club prepares them for national contests such as The Math Kangaroo and the Canadian Open Math Competition.
This year two of our students enjoyed the challenge to participate in the Canadian Open Mathematics Challenge: Ethan Eastwood and Maria Mihai. Ethan’s efforts were rewarded with the Honour Roll for Nova Scotia and the Gold Award for Nova Scotia, Grade 8 or Under. He scored in the 88.55 percentile. Congratulations, Ethan!
- Best Paper Award Goes to Lam Ho
- 2017‑18 Award Winners
- Professor Jason Brown's work was recently mentioned in The National Post
- Dr. Christopher Field Named IMS Fellow
- Two Conferences Hosted at Dalhousie
- The first Canadian Team brings home awards from EGMO 2018
- 2nd Annual Atlantic Canada Actuarial Student Conference
- Prof writes Newsweek article about Dark Energy