- To redress some of the issues preventing learners of African descent from developing a better appreciation for scientific inquiry.
- To engage members of the Dalhousie community, African Nova Scotian science teachers, parents, and students in activities designed to increase the interest of African Nova Scotian learners in science.
- To provide an opportunity for junior high learners of African descent to engage in activities designed to strengthen their math and science aptitude.
- Foster an increased awareness of science and technology among African Nova Scotian learners.
- Involve members of the Dalhousie community, African Nova Scotian science teachers, learners and their guardians in the ILASP initiative.
- Increase eventual enrolment of African Nova Scotian learners in science programs at Dalhousie University and other post-secondary institutions.
- Promote post-secondary science programs to the African Nova Scotian community.