Mary Anne White
Harry Shirreff Professor of Chemical Research (Emerita)
- Physical chemistry
- Thermal properties of materials
- Materials science
- Energy storage
- BSc, University of Western Ontario
- PhD, McMaster University
- PDF, University of Oxford
Our aim is to understand the role of structure and dynamics in determination of thermal properties of materials. Direct applications include thermoelectrics for power production and solid-state cooling, thermochromic materials for sensors, and phase change materials for solar energy storage.
Selected awards and honours
- American Chemical Society Award for Incorporation of Sustainability into Chemical Education, 2012
- Doctor of Science, Honoris Causa, University of Western Ontario, 2011
- Doctor of Science, Honoris Causa, McMaster University, 2008
- McNeil Medal of the Royal Society of Canada, 2007
- University Research Professorship, Dalhousie University, 2005-2015
- "Thermal conductivity of tunable lamellar Al2O3/PMMA hybrid composites." R. Chen, M. B. Johnson, K. P. Plucknett, and Mary Anne White* (J. Mater. Res., 2012, 27, 1869-1876).
- "Physical properties of sheet drawn from arrays of multiwalled carbon nanotubes." J.-H. Pöhls, M. B. Johnson, Mary Anne White*, R. Malik, B. Ruff, C. Jayasinghe, M. J. Schulz, and V. Shanov. (Carbon, 2012, 50, 4175-4183).
- "Characterization of thermal performance of a solid-solid phase change material, di-n-hexylammonium bromide, for potential integration in building materials." C. A. Whitman, M. B. Johnson, and Mary Anne White* (Thermochimica Acta, 2012, 531, 54-59).
- "X-ray Absorption Studies of Local Structure and Electronic Properties of NaxSi136 (0<x<24) Clathrates." A. D. Ritchie, M. A. MacDonald, P. Zhang, M. A. White, M. Beekman, J. Gryko, and G. Nolas (Phys. Rev. B, 2010, 82, 155207:1-9).
- "Thermal Properties of the Pyrochlore, Y2Ti2O7." M. B. Johnson, D. D. James, A. Bourque, H. A. Dabkowska, B. D. Gaulin, and Mary Anne White* (J. Solid State Chem., 2009, 182, 725-729).