Mary Anne White
Harry Shirreff Professor of Chemical Research (Emerita)
- Physical chemistry
- Thermal properties of materials
- Materials science
- Energy storage
- BSc, University of Western Ontario
- PhD, McMaster University
- PDF, University of Oxford
Our aim is to understand the role of structure and dynamics in determination of thermal properties of materials. Direct applications include phase change materials for energy storage, thermoelectric materials for energy scavenging, and thermochromic materials.
Selected awards and honours
- Doctorate of the University, Honoris Causa, University of Ottawa, 2017
- Officer, Order of Canada, 2016
- Fellow, Royal Society of Canada, 2013
- American Chemical Society Award for Incorporation of Sustainability into Chemical Education, 2012
- Doctor of Science, Honoris Causa, University of Western Ontario, 2011
- Doctor of Science, Honoris Causa, McMaster University, 2008
- McNeil Medal of the Royal Society of Canada, 2007
- “Achieving zT > 1 in inexpensive Zintl phase Ca9Zn4+xSb9 by phase boundary mapping.” S. Ohno, U. Aydemir, M. Amsler, J.-H. Pöhls, S. Chanakian, A. Zevalkink, M. Wood, Mary Anne White, S. K. Bux, C. Wolverton and G. J. Snyder (Advanced Functional Materials 2017, 27, 1606361:1-10).
- “Origins of Ultralow Thermal Conductivity in Bulk [6,6]-Phenyl-C61-Butyric Acid Methyl Ester (PCBM).” J-H. Pöhls, M. B. Johnson and Mary Anne White (Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics, 2016, 18, 1185-1190).
- “Zero Thermal Expansion in ZrMgMo3O12: NMR Crystallography Reveals Origins of Thermoelastic Properties.” C. P. Romao, F. A. Perras, U. Werner-Zwanziger, J. A. Lussier, K. J. Miller, C. M. Calahoo, J. W. Zwanziger, M. Bieringer, B. A. Marinkovic, D. L. Bryce and Mary Anne White (Chemistry of Materials, 2015, 27, 2633-2646).
- “Determination of Phase Stability of Elemental Boron.” Mary Anne White, A. Cerqueira, C. A. Whitman, M. B. Johnson and T. Ogitsu. (Angewandte Chemie International Edition, 2015, 54, 3626-3629).
- “Design rules for reversible thermochromic mixtures.” D. C. MacLaren and Mary Anne White (Journal of Materials Science, 2005, 40, 669-676).