Dr. Steenbeek is an Epidemiologist with expertise on Indigenous sexual health, sexually transmitted infections, community based research and quantitative research methodology. Dr. Steenbeek received her PhD and Masters from UBC and her BScN from McMaster. She holds an active nursing practice at both the local ER department and in the north. Dr. Steenbeek has an appointment in Pediatrics at the IWK and is a member of the Health Policy & Knowledge Translation at the Canadian Centre of Vaccinology.
- Canadian Circumpolar Health Society
- Association of Canadian Universities for Northern Studies
- National Aboriginal Committee for HIV/AIDS
Awards and Honours
- Emerging New Scientist Award in Circumpolar Health Research
- Roach, S., Steenbeek, A., Johnston, G., Abdole, M & Urquhart, R. (2014). What is the data defined length of time for short time from diagnosis to death that is predictive of a low rate of palliative care enrolment? British Medical Journal Supportive & Palliative Care, doi:10.1136/bmjspcare-2014-000670
- Whelan, N., Steenbeek, A., Martin-Misner, R., Scott, J., Smith, B. & D’Angelo-Scott, H. (2014). Engaging Parents and Schools Improves Uptake of the Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Vaccine in School Based Immunization Programs: Examining the Role of the Public Health Nurse. Vaccines, 32(336), 4665-71. PMID: 24992714
- MacDonald, C. & Steenbeek, A., Martin-Misener, R. & Browne, A. (2014). Honoring Stories: Mi'kmaq Women's Experiences with Pap Smear Screening in Eastern Canada. Canadian Journal of Nursing Research [in press].
- O’Hare, K., Gahagan J., Jackson, L. & Steenbeek A. (2014). Perspectives in Pornography: Exploring Sexually Explicit Internet Movies’ Influences on Canadian Young Adults Holistic Sexual Health. Canadian Journal of Human Sexuality [in press]
- O’Hare, K., Gahagan J., Jackson, L. & Steenbeek A. (2014). A revisualization of “porn”: how youth’s consumption of sexually explicit internet movies can inform approaches to Canadian sexual health promotion. Culture, Health & Sexuality, 11, 1-15. PMID: 24917353