New Ventures Fund
With the storm last week and the lack of power and internet, we are extending the deadline for the New Ventures Fund to Tuesday 11 October 2022.
The School of Nursing’s Donor Fund for New Ventures Development supports current Faculty-led or student-led relevant and rigorous projects that advance the mission, vision, values and strategic directions of the School of Nursing’s Strategic Plan*. The source of funding is the generous donations to nursing at Dalhousie University. Since funding is based on donations, the total funding available may vary for each competition. Reports of funded projects will be posted on the School of Nursing website.
School of Nursing Strategic Plan: See Page 3. Copy attached.
Eligibility Criteria: Faculty at all levels (limited term, tenured, part time, full time, adjuncts) and Students (undergraduates, graduates and post doctoral fellows) are eligible to apply for this fund. Only one application per person per competition allowed. Maximum of one successful application to be funded every 12 months. Budget items as submitted are final and budget items will be funded to the amount budgeted or less. If funds are received from any other source for the Venture, this must be declared.
1. Eligibility Criteria for Faculty
Faculty may apply for funding to:
- Support innovative curriculum initiatives and teaching/learning strategies consistent with scholarly environment.
- Facilitate consultation with external educators/practitioners/researchers/community members to enable innovation in education, practice and/or research development within the School of Nursing community.
- Support innovations that advance the mission, vision, values and strategic directions of the School of Nursing’s Strategic Plan within the nursing community and/or within the community in general.
- Knowledge mobilization including development or dissemination of scholarship of teaching initiatives. Examples may include but are not limited to creating a video, presenting at conferences open access fees, community events or other development or dissemination activities.
2. Eligibility Criteria for Students & Post Doctoral Fellows
Dalhousie Nursing Students (undergraduate and graduate) and Post Doctoral Fellows may apply for funding to:
- Attend/participate in local, provincial, national, international, interprofessional and/or learning and development initiatives that are aligned with the mission, vision, values and strategic directions of the School of Nursing’s Strategic Plan.
- Present at scientific/professional conferences and workshops (papers, posters or oral) or other dissemination activities.
- Support innovations that advance the mission, vision, values and strategic directions of the School of Nursing’s Strategic Plan
- Support innovations or initiatives that enhance partnerships, collaborations and/or future opportunities.
The maximum award is $3,000 per project. Based on established criteria, proposals are scientifically reviewed, scored and recommendations for funding made by the Research & Scholarly Development Committee. Final funding decisions will be made by a group consisting of the Director of the School, the Associate Director, Undergraduate Studies Academic, the Associate Director, Undergraduate Studies Student Affairs and Associate Director, Graduate Studies or Director designates.
Reimbursement of Expenses
The funds cannot be advanced but instead the recipient will be reimbursed upon presentation of receipts and completion of claim forms. Upon project completion, a Travel Expense Claim form or a Cheque Requisition form, along with receipts and boarding passes (if applicable), must be completed and submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org for reimbursement. The claims must be submitted within three weeks of completion. Eligible travel expenses are generally limited to meals, transportation, hotel and registration (must be aligned with the Dalhousie University travel guidelines). For further information on the reimbursement of expenses, contact the Research Coordinator.
2. Proposals will be assessed on the following criteria:
- Relevant to at least one aspect of the mission, vision, values and strategic directions of the
School of Nursing Strategic Plan: See Page 3.
- Feasibility (time and resources to achieve the outcomes)
- Alignment with Eligibility Criteria
- Whether the project has been partially funded or received no previous funding
- Those who identify as being from one of the following groups will be given priority: Mi’kMaq, Indigenous, African Nova Scotian, African descent, 2SLGBTQ+, person with a disability, Acadian or another priority group.
- Students and Post Doctoral Fellows will be given priority over Faculty
- Undergraduate Students will be given priority over Graduate Students and Post Doctoral Fellows
- First time applicants will be given priority
Please refer to the Scientific Review Form for details on scoring.
3. Those funded will be required to:
- Present the project or poster at a School of Nursing scholarly session.
- Submit an End of Project Report within a month of the end of the project. Information on the funded projects will be put on our website. Please send photographs of events where possible and copies of posters with the report.
- Publications, reports and/or presentations arising from work supported by the New Ventures Fund must acknowledge the Fund: “This work was supported by a grant from the New Ventures Fund, School of Nursing, Dalhousie University”. A copy of all published work should be forwarded to:
New Ventures Fund, School of Nursing
5869 University Avenue
Halifax, NS B3H 3J5
Deadlines for applications are February 1 and October 1 of each year.
School of Nursing
Room G46, Forrest Building
School of Nursing| Dalhousie University
PO Box 15000 | 5869 University Ave
Halifax, N.S. B3H 4R2
902.494.6125 | 902.494.3487 (FAX)