Student Absence Reporting

If, as a student, you are unable to complete an assignment or an assessment as a result of serious illness or unforeseen circumstance, you must submit a request for deferral of that assignment or assessment by completing the Missed Course Work or Assessment Form. You should submit the Missed Course Work or Assessment Form within 7 days of the date of the missed work and provide reasons for missing the work.  Documentation or additional information may be requested from you.

Students who miss a final exam due to illness or other extraordinary circumstances are required to submit documentation in support of their claim.  If documentation is not available then students must provide a letter of circumstances detailing the basis of their request.

All submissions will be reviewed by a staff or faculty member of the Undergraduate Studies Office for approval*.  The Assistant Dean of Students has full discretion on approval or rejection of absence requests.  Upon approval, you will communicate with your course instructor who will then determine what your responsibilities are to make up for the missed course work or assessment.

* The Associate Dean of Undergraduate Studies, Faculty of Engineering reserves the discretion to deny a student request if there are clear grounds to do so.

Please visit the COVID‑19 Information from Faculty of Engineering for latest updates.

Long-term Absence

For major or chronic illness and other long-term or recurring absences, students should seek professional care, refer to the University's Student Accommodation Policy, and register with an advisor at the Advising and Access Services Center.