Auditing a Course
Any student who wishes to audit a course must follow the procedures as outlined below. Master's students may only audit a course in their first three terms (i.e., their residency period). Ph.D. students may only audit courses in their first six terms (i.e., their residency period):
- The student must obtain an Audit Form from the Sexton Student Service Centre (Main Entrance, B Building,1360 Barrington Street | Phone: 494-6047) or from the Registrar's Office.
- The student must obtain both the signature of the course instructor and his or her supervisor.
- The student submits the form to the Sexton Student Service Centre for registration.
- The student must then fill out a Graduate Student Program Update Form [PDF - 140 kB] to reflect the audit. Without this form, the Faculty of Graduate Studies will not approve the audit and will charge the student the full audit fee.
- The Faculty of Graduate Studies is enforcing a restriction on the number of audits a student may take: Master's students can have only 1 full credit (2 - 1/2 credit classes); PhD students can have two full credit (4 - 1/2 credit classes).
- Audits must be relevant to the student's program - e.g., Introduction to Spanish will not be approved.
- Audits are processed after the last day of registration and are based on classroom availability. Just because you follow these steps does not guarantee that your audit will be approved.