The Russian Studies program is a tightly-knit, supportive community of faculty and students. We get together regularly throughout the school year, with a wide range of events and opportunities to speak, watch, listen and interact with Russian language and culture. Explore our activities.
Top 5 reasons to study Russian at Dalhousie:
- Culture: You can read Tolstoy, Dostoevsky or Chekhov in translation, but knowing the language gives you deeper access to Russia's many cultural treasures.
- Study in Russia: Attend Saint Petersburg State University with Canada's original Russia exchange program.
- Active student life: We celebrate Russian culture through a Russian choir, an annual Russian Night, poetry readings and guest speakers.
- Employment: Business, media and government seek out grads who know Russian. Alumni have worked for the Saint Petersburg Times, the Novosti Press Agency and Canadian Communications Security Establishment.
- New directions: We are the oldest Russian program in Canada but we're not stuck in our ways. In 2007, we started to offer Chinese language courses.