The Russian Studies program is a tightly-knit, supportive community of faculty and students. We get together regularly throughout the school year, with a wide range of events and opportunities to speak, watch, listen and interact with Russian language and culture. Explore our activities.
Our current course offerings
In addition to our language classes, we offer a variety of classes on Russian literature, film and history. View the 2019-2020 Academic Timetable.
Top 5 reasons to study Russian at Dalhousie:
- Culture: You can read Tolstoy, Dostoevsky or Chekhov in translation, but knowing the language gives you deeper access to Russia's many cultural treasures.
- Study in Russia: Attend Saint Petersburg State University with Canada's original Russia exchange program.
- Active student life: We celebrate Russian culture through a Russian choir, an annual Russian Night, poetry readings and guest speakers.
- Employment: Business, media and government seek out grads who know Russian. Alumni have worked for the Saint Petersburg Times, the Novosti Press Agency and Canadian Communications Security Establishment.
- New directions: We are the oldest Russian program in Canada but we're not stuck in our ways. In 2007, we started to offer Chinese language courses.