The Russian Studies program is a tightly-knit, supportive community of faculty and students. We get together regularly throughout the school year, with a wide range of events and opportunities to speak, watch, listen and interact with Russian language and culture. Explore our activities.
Top 5 reasons to study Russian at Dalhousie:
- Culture: Our department offers courses that explore Russophone film, history, literature, theory and more in translation, with opportunities to engage with cultural productions in the original for students enrolled in the Russian language program.
- Study Russian language abroad: We’re working to establish amazing new opportunities for study abroad in Russophone Eastern Europe.
- Active student life: We celebrate Russian culture through a Russian choir, an annual Russian Night, poetry readings and guest speakers.
- Intercultural understanding: Russian language skills and cultural awareness are going to be key to building bridges toward a better future.
- New directions: We are the oldest Russian program in Canada but we're not stuck in our ways. In 2007, we started to offer Chinese language courses.