How to Apply
You can apply to our graduate programs online with our Faculty of Graduate Studies. Application information (including information on the submission of electronic references) is available there.
In addition to the application and the application fee that are sent to our Registrar's Office, the following supporting documents should be sent directly to the Department of History:
- a writing sample (a major paper you have done)
- a statement of interest (this can simply be one or two pages, however, please be very specific about your area of study)
- three reference letters (in signed and sealed envelopes if not submitted online using the Registrar's Office website above)
- two official transcripts from any university or college you have attended
- a recognized English competency score (such as a TOEFL or IELTS) if the language of instruction at your university is not English
All supporting documents (except for the application and application fee, which are directed to our Registrar's Office as noted above) should be sent directly to the Graduate Secretary in the Department of History.
Valerie Peck, Graduate Secretary
Department of History
6135 University Ave.
PO Box 15000
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada B3H 4R2
The deadline for Canadian applicants to apply to our graduate programs for September 2018 is June 1, 2018.
The deadline for International applicants is April 1, 2018. For anyone wishing to be considered for university funding, applications, with all required supporting documents, must be received by February 1, 2018.
Please note that applications must be complete by the deadlines.
Note: If you are an international student, you will have to allow time for your student visa to be approved.