How to Apply
You must apply to our graduate programs online through the Faculty of Graduate Studies webpage. Application information (including information on the submission of electronic references) is available there. Please note: three references are required by the Department of History.
Candidates for the MA program must hold a BA four year degree or a general BA in history.
Candidates for the PhD program must have a MA degree in history.
In addition to the application and the application fee that are submitted via Dalonline, the following supporting documents should be e-mailed directly to the Department of History firstname.lastname@example.org:
- One writing sample
- A major paper you have completed
- For MA applications: approximately 15 pages
- For PhD Applications: approximately 30 pages
- A Statement of Interest
- 1-2 pages
- Please be very specific about your area of study
- Transcripts preferably will be sent directly from your university to email@example.com
- Dalhousie students may submit unofficial transcripts
- Students who are unable to access official transcripts at the time of their application may submit unofficial transcripts for admission consideration
- English Competency Score
- If the language of instruction at your previous university was not English, you must submit scores from a recognized English language test
- See FGS's English Language Requirements page for more information, or contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Applicants who wish to submit additional documents to support their application (CVs, news articles, etc), may do so.
Visit the Submit Supporting Documents page on the Faculty of Graduate Studies webpage for more information.
Deadlines for 2024/2025 graduate admissions are as follows:
- To be considered for funding: January 16, 2024
- International applications: April 1, 2024
- Canadian applicants: June 1, 2024
Applicants are also encouraged to apply for scholarships via the Harmonized Scholarship Process. Please note: earlier schoalrship applicantion deadlines may apply.
If you are an international student, you will have to allow time for your student visa to be approved. Visit the International Centre for further information.