BA Combined Honours/Double Major in Creative Writing
The Creative Writing Program in the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences is not restricted to FASS students. Dalhousie and King's students from any Faculty are able to combine Creative Writing with another subject to earn one of two combined degrees: a B.A. (120 credit-hour) Double Major program with Creative Writing as the secondary subject, or a B.A. (120 credit-hour) Combined Honours program with Creative Writing as a secondary subject.
The degree requirements for the Creative Writing side of a degree are identical for a Combined Honours and a Double Major degree. Admission to Combined Honours in Creative Writing requires application to the Department of English, which administers the Creative Writing Program.
A student cannot complete a stand-alone degree with a major in Creative Writing, nor can Creative Writing be the primary subject in a Combined Honours degree. Students are advised to ensure that their other area of study (e.g., English, History, or Psychology) may serve as the primary subject in a Double Major or Combined Honours Degree.
Courses are available in fiction, poetry, songwriting, playwriting, and narrative non-fiction. Visit the undergraduate program website for a complete overview of Creative Writing courses.
- 6 to 9 credit hours from:
- CRWR 2001.03: The Creative Process
- CRWR 2002.03: Introduction to Creative Writing
- 3 credit hours from any 2000 level ENGL course
- 12 credit hours from:
- ENGL 3098.03: Creative Writing: Poetry I
- ENGL 3099.03: Creative Writing: Fiction I
- CRWR 3000.03: Creative Writing: Poetry II
- CRWR 3001.03: Creative Writing: Fiction II
- CRWR 3100.03: Songwriting
- CRWR 3200.03: Spoken Word
- THEA 3600.06: Playwriting
- JOUR 3440.03: Creative Non-Fiction
- JOUR 3441.03: Advanced Creative Non-Fiction
- 6 credit hours from:
- An additional 3 to 6 credit hours from the list above
- If you are taking the Creative Writing Program, CRWR 2002.03 is a prerequisite for ENGL 3098.03 and ENGL 3099.03. ENGL 3098.03 with a grade of B or better is a prerequisite for CRWR 3000.03, and ENGL 3099.03 with a grade of B or better is a prerequisite for CRWR 3001.03.
- Students interested in Creative Writing but not completing the program may enter individual 3000-level CRWR courses with the instructor’s permission.
- For help planning your degree check out Academic Advising for Creative Writing as well as Dalhousie's general degree requirements.
- Not all courses may be offered in any given year. Check the Academic Timetable for current and future listings.
- Students interested in combining Creative Writing and English can check out the requirements for a double major or combined honours degree in English and Creative Writing.