Professor of Law
PO Box 15000 Halifax, Nova Scotia B3H 4R2
- Ethics and professional responsibility
- Critical theory
- LLB (Queen's University, Belfast)
- LLM (Queen's University, Kingston)
- Contracts & Judicial Decision-Making (LAWS 1000X/Y.06)
- Graduate Seminar (LAWS 3000)
Areas of supervision: Contracts, jurisprudence, legal ethics, judicial ethics, regulation of legal professions, legal education
Professor Devlin's current research interests focus on legal theory, legal ethics, judicial ethics, regulation of the legal profession, and contract law.
Selected awards and honours
- 2013 - "Change One Thing" Award, Centre for Learning and Teaching, Dalhouse University
- 2012-13 - Chief Justice of Ontario Fellowship in Ethics and Professionalism
- 2005-15 - University Research Professor
- 2009-10 - Hanna and Harold Barnett Award for Excellence in Teaching First Year Law
- 2008 - Canadian Association of Law Teachers' Award for Academic Excellence
- 2002-03 - Hanna and Harold Barnett Award for Excellence in Teaching First Year Law
- Richard Devlin, Alice Woolley, Brent Cotter & John Law, eds, Lawyers' Ethics and Professional Regulation, 2nd ed (Toronto: Lexis-Nexis, 2012).
- Richard Devlin & Dianne Pothier, eds, Critical Disability Theory: Essays in Philosophy, Politics, Policy and Law (Vancouver: UBC Press, 2005).
- Richard Devlin, ed, Canadian Perspectives on Legal Theory (Toronto: Emond Montgomery, 1990).
- Richard Devlin & Brent Cotter, “Three Strikes and You’re Out … Maybe … Maybe Not!: A Comment on Wallace v. CN Railway (2013) 92 Can. Bar. Rev 123-148.
- Richard Devlin & Jocelyn Downie, “Public Interest Vocationalism: A Way Forward for Legal Education in Canada” in F. Westwood, ed., The Calling of Law (Ashgate, 2014) 85-109.
- Richard Devlin & David Layton, “Culturally Incompetent Counsel and the Trial Level Judge: A Legal and Ethical Analysis” (2014) 60 CLQ 360-385.
- Richard Devlin & Ora Morison, “Access to Justice and the Ethics and Politics of Alternative Business Structures” (2012) 91 Can. Bar. Rev. 483-553.
Service & activity
- President, Canadian Association for Legal Ethics (2012- )
- Consultant, National Judicial Institute
- Member, International Association for Legal Ethics
- Member, Editorial Board, Canadian Legal Education Annual Review
- Member, Editorial Board, Legal Ethics