Today@Dal» Go to news main
In Memoriam: Dr. Charles Richard Tim Dean
The Faculty of Medicine and Dalhousie University are deeply saddened to learn of the passing of Dalhousie graduate and former faculty member, Dr. Charles Richard Tim Dean, on March 7, 2023.
Born in Yarmouth, Nova Scotia, Dr. Dean graduated from Dalhousie University with a MSc in Pharmacology in 1964. He spent the next four years at Oxford University, and graduated in 1968 with a D.Phil in Pharmacology. He joined Dalhousie as an assistant professor and researcher in the Department of Pharmacology in 1968. Two years later he entered Dalhousie Medical School, while still teaching in the Department of Pharmacology. His residency and fellowship in internal medicine followed, taking him to Hammersmith Hospital in London, England. He returned to Halifax in 1976 and began practicing as an attending internal medicine physician.
Dr. Dean held many positions throughout his 40-year career, including Chief of Medicine at the Camp Hill Hospital from 1983-1988. He was a mentor to many, and the recipient of countless teaching awards including the Faculty of Dalhousie School of Medicine Professor of the year in 1983, and a Faculty Citation Excellence of Teaching in Postgraduate Medicine in 1995. He retired in 2006.
Dr. Dean was a dedicated teacher and respected leader. He will be profoundly missed.
Read the full obituary here.
- Survey on Thriving Futures 2023: Exploring the SDGs at Dalhousie University
- Job postings
- Canadian Medical Hall of Fame (CMHF) Laureate Symposium
- Special Access to Counselling Support
- Participants needed for walking study
- Goldberg Computer Science Building Closed June 10
- Upcoming conference: “From Inequality to Justice — Law and Ethics of AI Technology”
- International Symposium on Pediatric Pain 2023