Today@Dal» Go to news main
Teaching Assistant posting: Contemporary Studies
Part-Time Employment Opportunity: Teaching Assistant in the Contemporary Studies Program
Deadline for Applications: Friday, August 27, 2021, 5 p.m.
Contemporary Studies Program at the University of King's College invites applications for one Teaching Assistant position for "Genocide: Comparative Perspectives" in the Fall 2021 Term. This course examines the concept of genocide, asking which atrocities "qualify" to be included in that concept and why. It examines several documented instances of genocidal violence and reflects on the relations between genocide and politics of memory, including a variety of representations in literature, film and public commemorations. Special attention will be paid to settler colonial genocides, as well as to the uses of gender-based violence as a weapon of genocide.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- reading course material and attending instructor's lectures (posted online)
- leading tutorial discussion groups
- holding office hours and assisting students with assignments
- grading assignments and exams
- consulting on a regular basis with the instructor regarding the approach taken in teaching, grading and other expectations
Qualifications and Experience:
Candidates should have at least an M.A. degree in a Humanities subject and some background in genocide studies. Although the course is scheduled to be taught in person, a successful candidate should have familiarity with online environments and online learning tools and be prepared to pivot to online teaching should a necessity to do so arise.
Hourly Rate of Pay: $24.41 (classification of TA130). The position is conditional on the course's final enrollment numbers.
To apply for this position, please send a letter of interest and C.V to: Sharon Brown, University of King's College: email@example.com, copied to Dorota Glowacka,
Questions regarding the position can be directed to Dorota Glowacka, Director of the Contemporary Studies Program, University of King's College, firstname.lastname@example.org.
The University of King's College is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. We encourage and welcome those who would contribute to the diversification of our staff and faculty including, but not limited to women, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, visible minorities and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity.
- Professional Development Schedule ‑ Fall 2021
- Winners of child care day passes (September 17 draw)
- Student Accommodation Requests and Approvals
- Virtual Study Skills Workshops (Halifax)
- IT News You Can Use: Fall 2021
- Dal.ca website redesign: Sitemap studies
- Sign up for Yoga for Golfers
- Participants needed: saliva research study