Today@Dal» Go to news main
Study Skills Coach Position in Economics or Management
Position Type: On-campus Part-Time Employment
Posting Date: July 28, 2021
Application Deadline: August 9, 2021
Job Title: Study Skills Coach - Studying for Success Program
Number of Positions: ONE position: for graduate students in the fields of Economics or Management.
Department/Location: Bissett Student Success Centre; Dalhousie University
Rate of Pay: $15/hr - Master's students; $20/hr - Ph.D. students
Hours per Week: 4-8
Job Description: The Studying for Success Study Skills Program's primary goal is to help students become more efficient and effective learners. To provide more focused support, Study Coaches are assigned to specialized areas of study. As part of this program's team, Study Skills Coaches:
- hold regular weekly office hours;
- work with individual students on academic skill development using a range of individual coaching strategies;
- schedule and facilitate study skills workshops for small groups of students, and adapt content to specific areas of study;
- assist the Studying for Success Coordinator in maintaining regular contacts with faculty advisors, course instructors, and departments in their specialized area of study, to promote the Studying for Success program and services;
- assist the Studying for Success Coordinator in the implementation of Studying for Success Program initiatives;
- collect and report coaching activities as required;
- attend scheduled team meetings.
This Study Skills Coaching position starts in the Fall term from September 13, 2021 through to April 8, 2022. Hours are approximately 4-8 hours/weekly.
This position is a great opportunity to: work with motivated students, develop your knowledge of the learning process and enhance presentation skills. It is also an opportunity to work as part of a team and
participate in student program development. Study skills coaches will also be recognized on the Co-Curricular Record (CCR) for their work.
- Candidates should be graduate students (Master's or Ph.D. candidates) in Economics or Management, who are currently enrolled at Dalhousie. Senior undergrads (year 4 or above) majoring in either of the above-mentioned fields with excellent academic records and TA or teaching experience will be considered.
- TA, teaching or tutoring experience in related courses at DAL
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Very solid oral and written communication skills
- Commitment to the educational development of students
- Knowledge of the Dalhousie University community
- Being social media savvy is an asset
Application Documents: Along with a cover letter and resume or CV, applications should include the names, titles, and contact information of three PROFESSIONAL references. NO personal references will be accepted.
IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN THE ABOVE POSITION, PLEASE APPLY, BY THE APPLICATION DEADLINE, VIA EMAIL TO:
Ms. Jessica Chubb
Coordinator, Studying for Success Program
- Professional Development Schedule ‑ Fall 2021
- Winners of child care day passes (September 17 draw)
- Student Accommodation Requests and Approvals
- Virtual Study Skills Workshops (Halifax)
- IT News You Can Use: Fall 2021
- Dal.ca website redesign: Sitemap studies
- Sign up for Yoga for Golfers
- Participants needed: saliva research study