Today@Dal» Go to news main
Graduate Internship/Research Assistant Posting ‑ School for Resource and Environmental Studies
Graduate Internship Opportunity
Posting date: February 5, 2018
Application deadline: February 23, 2018 (4:30 pm)
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Type of posting: Full-time internship or part-time research assistantship
Job description: The Intern/Research Assistant will work collaboratively with researchers at The Nature Conservancy of Canada (NCC), New Brunswick (Fredericton), Dalhousie University, and Memorial University of Newfoundland. They will help to (1) develop ArcGIS tutorials and other digital communication materials and (2) deliver them in a series of five one-day workshops with practitioners across the Maritime Provinces and in Quebec City. The GIS-tutorials, materials and workshops will serve to communicate the utility of NCC's Freshwater Stream Classification and tools for planning and policy applications to workshop participants across the Maritime region. Specific skills and interests required primarily include those related to:
- ArcGIS Story Maps, Web Apps, and Web Maps for communication and spatial planning purposes;
- Knowledge on how to create detailed step-by-step (i.e. how-to) tutorial instructions;
- Experience using ArcGIS Online; and,
- Interpersonal competencies for interacting with local and regional freshwater experts, policy makers, and stakeholder groups from governments (i.e. municipal, provincial, federal) and non-governmental groups.
The position will start part time in late February and extend to December 2018, with the majority of the work (full time) concentrated April-August. It will entail occasional travel in the Maritimes and Quebec during the summer months. The RA will work closely with collaborators from NCC.
Experience with programming language (i.e. AML, python, SQL, HTML5), interest in freshwater conservation planning, and French language abilities will be considered assets. The successful applicant will ideally be an in-program student, but we will consider applications from recent graduates.
Terms: Funding for the position is provided by SSHRC and is secured to the end of December 2018; extension is subject to additional funding. Remuneration is:
- 490 hours @ $21/hour plus 4% vacation pay.
To apply: Please submit, electronically, to Prof. Karen Beazley: Karen.Beazley@dal.ca
One-page cover letter summarizing suitability for the position, and
- Curriculum vitae.
Inquiries should be directed to Prof. Karen Beazley: Karen.Beazley@dal.ca
- Job Posting ‑ Department of Chemistry, Faculty of Science
- Teaching Assistant Posting ‑ Department of Animal Science and Aquaculture
- SURGE Student Survey
- Job Postings
- Teaching Assistant Posting ‑ Department of Russian Studies
- Teaching Assistant Posting ‑ Department of German
- Online Project Management Certification
- Job Posting ‑ Instructional Design Assistant