Today@Dal» Go to news main
Multifaith Calendar ‑ January 1 ‑ 12
See below for a sample of dates to observe, reflect, celebrate or promote throughout the university community. The full calendar is available on the website, http://multifaithcalendar.org/cal/dologin.php?id=469
January: The first moon of Creation is Spirit Moon, and is manifested through the Northern Lights. (Ojibwe)
Japanese welcome in the New Year with prayers for renewal of hearts, good health, and prosperity. They wear their best clothes and visit shrines in large numbers - sometimes at the very stroke of midnight on New Year’s Eve.
Mahāyāna New Year
Mahāyāna New Year is celebrated for three days from the first full moon day in January. (Mahāyāna)
Birth date of Guru Gobind Singh Ji (1666 - 1708)
The tenth and final Sikh Guru, he created the Khalsa, the Fellowship of the Pure, and declared the Scriptures, the Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji, to be the Sikh’s Guru from that time on.
Known as the Feast of Theophany (“appearance of God”) in Orthodox churches, the Feast of Epiphany comes 12 days after Christmas and closes the Christmas season with a second festival of “manifesting” Jesus as the Son of God, the first being the Feast of the Nativity. The Western churches associate Epiphany with the journey of the Magi to the infant Jesus, while the Orthodox churches look to the baptism of Jesus by John the Baptist in which the Holy Trinity was first revealed.
Christmas (Old / Julian Calendar)
Christmas according to the Julian calendar.
Coming-of-Age-Day is a national holiday in Japan. Young women and men twenty years of age go to shrines, wearing traditional clothing. Their families announce their adulthood to the kami or spirits, and pray for health and well being for a lifetime to come.
Anniversary of the death of Linji (jp. Rinzai). Línjì Yìxuán (died 866 CE) was the founder of the Linji school of Chán Buddhism during Tang Dynasty China.
- Research & Special Purpose Accounting returned to the Hicks Building on January 16th
- Part‑Time Academic Postings ‑ Psychology and Neuroscience / Faculty of Science
- Teaching Assistant Postings ‑ Faculty of Agriculture, Business and Social Sciences
- Back on Track registration open for students
- Job & Career Fair for students on Thursday, February 7
- Welcome receptions for interim President & Vice‑Chancellor Peter MacKinnon
- Job Postings
- Part‑Time Academic Postings ‑ Department of Engineering, Faculty of Agriculture