Media Releases» Go to news main
Dalhousie University announces appointment of Dr. David Anderson as Dean of the Faculty of Medicine
Dalhousie University is pleased to announce the appointment of Dr. David Anderson as dean of the Faculty of Medicine for a five-year term, effective July 1, 2015. Dr. Anderson will replace Dr. Tom Marrie. Dr. Marrie agreed to postpone his retirement and remain as dean to ensure continuity of leadership during the search for the new dean.
Dr. David Anderson brings to the Dean’s Office a great passion and enthusiasm for Dalhousie Medical School’s mission, along with strong relationships within the Faculty and across the region. As dean, he will continue to maintain the high quality of Dalhousie’s medical education programs while continuing to build significant research capacity and increasing the national and international stature of the Faculty.
Dr. Anderson is currently Head of Dalhousie’s Department of Medicine and has been a faculty member at Dalhousie for over two decades. He holds cross-appointments in the Department of Pathology and the Department of Community Health & Epidemiology. He received his medical degree from Dalhousie University in 1983. An award-winning teacher, Dr. Anderson has worked building collaboration with the Faculty of Medicine’s key partners including Capital Health and Doctors Nova Scotia. He has helped increase faculty engagement and leadership across the Maritimes.
Dr. Anderson has published in over 150 peer-reviewed publications and is a co-founder of the VECTOR Research Group, a multi-centre Canadian collaborative team focused on thromboembolic research that, to date, has received more than $50 million in research funding. As well, Dr. Anderson has been consistently supported by peer-review granting councils throughout his career and has chaired the Department of Medicine’s research committee for nearly 10 years.
Dalhousie University would also like to recognize the committed service of the Faculty of Medicine’s outgoing Dean, Dr. Tom Marrie. During his tenure, Dr. Marrie led a complete overhaul of the undergraduate medical curriculum, and the successful launch and first graduating class from the Dalhousie Medicine New Brunswick program.
"I am very excited about the opportunities as dean of medicine at Dalhousie. I very much look forward to working with the excellent faculty, staff and students to further the growth and development of our medical school, building upon the long tradition of excellence of high quality undergraduate and postgraduate education. I am particularly keen to work with our basic and clinical scientists to continue to facilitate the performance of world-class research." – Dr. David Anderson, currently professor and head of the Department of Medicine, Dalhousie University; Dean of the Faculty of Medicine, effective July 1, 2015.
|Dr. David Anderson
Incoming dean, Faculty of Medicine
Photo Credit: Bruce Bottomley
Download Hi-Res image
Allison Gerrard, Communications Manager - Dalhousie Medical School: +1 (902) 494-1789, email@example.com
Janet Bryson, Senior Communications Advisor - Dalhousie University: +1 (902) 494-1269, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dalhousie University announces former University of Saskatchewan President Peter MacKinnon as incoming interim President and Vice‑Chancellor
- Dalhousie University Research Contributes to Canada's First "State of the Nation" Report on Children's Physical Literacy
- Dalhousie University and Halifax Regional Police encourage safe and responsible Homecoming celebrations
- Unprecedented experiment aims to improve conservation outcomes for critically endangered North Atlantic right Whale
- Dalhousie University welcomes Premier Stephen McNeil for $10 million Dalhousie Arts Centre funding announcement
- Dalhousie University's Imhotep's Legacy Academy awarded NSERC's PromoScience Program
- From Australia to Halifax: Dr. Teresa C Balser to become Dalhousie University’s next Provost and Vice‑President Academic
- Dalhousie University unveils $23 million fitness centre during 200th anniversary year