The first 100 years of engineering at Tech, TUNS and Dalhousie were celebrated in style. A weekend of events in early October drew alumni from near and far to reminisce, meet old and new friends and embark on the next 100 years.
Events included a welcome reception, book launch for The House That Sexton Built by Allan Marble and Verilea Ellis, sporting events, awards luncheon and the 100th Celebration Gala Tech Ball & Dinner.
The highlight of the awards luncheon was the presentation of the Centennial Gold Medals to five distinguished engineering alumni: Dr. Richard J. Currie, Dr. James E.C. Carter, Carol Beal and the Honorable John James Kinley. Dr. Eldon Gunn accepted on behalf of the late Dr. Chalmers Jack MacKenzie. Each medal winner was honored for their knowledge, leadership, creativity and community service.
See photo essay: 100 Years of Tech, TUNS and Dal Engineering. Photography by Nick Pearce.
The Friday night barbecue saw the reunion of the DixiTech 7, a band of engineering professors formed almost 40 years ago.
The Nova Scotia Technical College began with a mandate "to educate engineers and to foster the development of an industrial base in Nova Scotia." The Faculty of Engineering's basic goals remain the same, with research and development growing steadily over the years.
The Faculty of Engineering at Dalhousie University evolved from the Nova Scotia Technical College from 1907 to 1978, the Technical University of Nova Scotia (TUNS) from 1978 to 1998 and followed by a brief time as DalTech.
comments powered by Disqus