After School Program
Imhotep's Legacy Academy's After School Program introduces junior high school students of African descent to curriculum-related science and math activities intended to develop interest in and increase awareness of these subjects.
Mentors visit schools on a weekly basis and alternate between math and science activities. These sessions are an opportunity for students to develop an interest in STEM subjects and get extra assistance with their homework. The science activities are hands-on and interactive, using common household items familiar to students. The math activities are tailored to strengthen skills in mathematic concepts with which students might be struggling.
The university/college students who act as Mentors for the students are essential to the success of the program. Our Mentors work to develop a relationship with their students and they are also role models as they themselves are pursuing STEM-related fields through their post-secondary studies.
Teachers in Nova Scotia say that Imhotep’s Legacy Academy's After-School Program helps in the following ways:
- Improves participants’ math and science skills
- Helps participants develop other important skills that are applied to their regular school work
- Boosts participants’ self-esteem and confidence in their own academic abilities
- Motivates them to be better participants in their regular classrooms
- Helps improve participants’ learning in other subjects