Our faculty and students engage in research initiatives designed to answer significant questions in the field of information management. Our research falls into seven overlapping clusters, illustrated below, including information organization/respresentation and data science.
MLIS thesis-option students and Interdisciplinary PhD students undertake theses within SIM’s core research clusters. Many of the projects are collaborative efforts between SIM and other schools and faculties inside the Faculty of Management and beyond. There are also opportunities for SIM students to explore SIM’s core research clusters through reading courses or as research assistants.
Data, information and knowledge management including cloud computing; collaboration; data management; digital preservation; information management; information systems; knowledge management; privacy (collection, use, disclosure, security, destruction of information); records management; research data management; health program evaluation, open data.
- Faculty working in this cluster: Creighton Barrett, James Blustein, Carla Heggie, Jackie MacDonald, Joyline Makani, Paul McKenna, Elvira Mitraka, Mike Smit, Louise Spiteri, Sandra Toze, Ryan Whalen
Data science including big data; big data analytics; big data management; big data processing; citation analysis; cloud computing; cloud computing at scale; computational social science; empirical innovation studies; ethics; natural language processing; network analysis; personal information security; digital forensics.
- Faculty working in this cluster: Creighton Barrett, Carla Heggie, Joyline Makani, Mike Smit, Louise Spiteri, Ryan Whalen
Educational and informational services including children’s services; collaboration; collections development; community engagement; community-led services; data literacy; information literacy instruction; pleasure reading; readers’ advisory services; reading and literacy; young adult services; mediated information searching; scholarship of teaching and learning.
- Faculty working in this cluster: Creighton Barrett, James Blustein, Vivian Howard, Keith Lawson, Jackie MacDonald, Joyline Makani, Paul McKenna, Lindsay McNiff, Robin Parker, Mike Smit, Louise Spiteri, Sandra Toze
Human information interaction including accidental information acquisition; e-learning; geographic information behavior and use; group/collaborative information interactions; human-computer interaction; individual differences; information needs and behaviours; mobile interface theory; online catalog retrieval systems (pleasure reading); organizational learning; perceptions of internet-based technology; privacy; serendipity; social media; user engagement; web-based discovery systems.
- Faculty working in this cluster: James Blustein, Jennifer Grek Martin, Carla Heggie, Vivian Howard, Keith Lawson, Jackie MacDonald, Joyline Makani, Paul McKenna, Paulette Skerrett, Louise Spiteri, Sandra Toze
- Faculty working in this cluster: Creighton Barrett, Fiona Black, Jennifer Grek Martin, Carla Heggie, Keith Lawson, Jackie MacDonald, Joyline Makani, Paul McKenna, Paulette Skerrett, Ryan Whalen
Information organization and representation including archival description; cataloguing; classification; data visualization; folksonomies; geographic information systems; geographic representation; images as information; information architecture; information systems; information visualization; metadata; network science; organization of information; privacy; social tagging; taxonomies; thesauri; archival appraisal, archival outreach, health policy and procedure; information system implementation and evaluation.
- Faculty working in this cluster: Patti Bannister, Creighton Barrett, Fiona Black, Jennifer Grek Martin, Carla Heggie, Keith Lawson, Jackie MacDonald, Joyline Makani, Louise Spiteri, Ryan Whalen
Scientific information including environment management; fisheries management; grey literature; information networks; information use and influence; integrated coastal and oceans management; marine and oceans issues; marine governance; oceans data management; patent informatics; privacy in research and science; public policy and decision making; science-policy interface; scientific information portals; scientometrics; state of environment reporting; information in decision making; ontologies.