- Social participation and inclusion of marginalized populations
- Assistive technologies, virtual reality, and gaming programs in rehabilitation
- Autism spectrum disorder
- Aging population
- Knowledge translation
- Cognitive and mental health
PhD (Rehabilitation Sciences), UBC
Parisa Ghanouni is a researcher. She obtained her PhD in rehabilitation sciences program from the University of British Columbia.
Her research interests include the design and development of programs using a client-centered approach for marginalized and vulnerable populations. These populations include pediatrics who have difficulties articulating or advocating their needs such as kids with autism, or elderly population who might suffer from mental decline, or individuals with disabilities who have lost their ability inherently or through acquired injuries.
A substantial portion of her work has been done in the pediatric population and in the domains of mental, physical, cognitive, and affective aspects. Her recent project involved a community-based participatory research and integrated knowledge translation approach to develop a tele-rehabilitation program for children with autism to improve their socio-emotional skills and daily activities. Her ongoing research involves families of aboriginal children, and elderly population.
She is currently accepting students.
- Ghanouni, Parisa, Jarus Tal, Zwicker Jill, Lucyshyn Joseph, Ledingham Alyssa, Mow Kristin (2018). Social stories among children with autism; Validating the content of a virtual reality program. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders. (Under press)
- Ghanouni, Parisa, Jarus Tal, Zwicker Jill G., Chauhan Stephanie, Moir Chelsea, Stokley Elyse, and Fenn Brooke. (2017). Developing a client-centered tele-rehabilitation virtual reality program for children with autism to address socio-emotional skills. Virtual Rehabilitation (ICVR), 2017 International Conference, IEEE.
- Ghanouni, Parisa, Memari Amir-Hossein, Gharibzadeh Shahriar, Eghlidi Jandark, and Moshayedi Pouria. (2017). Effect of Social Stimuli on Postural Responses in Individuals with Autism Spectrum Disorder. Journal of autism and developmental disorders 47, 1305-1313.
- Ghanouni Parisa, Zwicker Jill (2017). Electrophysiological Responses to Emotional Facial Expressions in Individuals with Autism Spectrum Disorder; a Systematic Review, 5, 208-226.
- Jarus T., Ghanouni P., Abel R., Fomenoff S., Lundberg J., Davidson S., Caswell S., Bickerton L., Zwicker J.(2015). Effect of Internal versus External Focus of Attention on Implicit Motor Learning in Children with Developmental Coordination Disorder. Research in Developmental Disabilities, 37, 119-126.
- Memari Amir-Hossein, Ghanouni Parisa, Gharibzadeh Shahriar, Eghlidi Jandark, Ziaee Vahid, Moshayedi Pouria (2013). Postural sway patterns in children with autism spectrum disorder compared with typically developing children. Research in Autism Spectrum Disorders. 7, 325-332.
- OCCU 5043 Program Evaluation
- Canadian Society of Occupational Science
- Nova Scotia Autism Associations
Selected awards and honours
- International Conference of Virtual Reality, 2017
- Occupational Therapy and Sensory Processing Network
- Occupational Therapy and Aboriginal Peoples Health Network
- Canadian Association of Occupational Therapists