- Social Participation & Inclusion of Marginalized Populations
- Community Mental Health and Health Promotion
- Assistive Technologies, Virtual Reality & Gaming Programs in Rehabilitation
- Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Aging Population
- Mental & Cognitive Function
- Integrated Health Care
- Transition, Resilience & Occupational Imbalance
Note: Dr. Ghanouni is accepting MSc(OS) students.
PhD (Rehabilitation Sciences), UBC
Dr. Parisa Ghanouni is a researcher. She obtained her PhD in rehabilitation sciences program from the University of British Columbia.
Her research interests include the design and development of programs using a client-centered approach for marginalized and vulnerable populations across the lifespan. These populations include pediatrics who have difficulties articulating or advocating their needs such as kids with autism, or elderly population who might suffer from mental decline, or individuals with disabilities who have lost their ability inherently or through acquired injuries.
A substantial portion of her work has been done in the domains of mental, physical, cognitive, and affective aspects. Her recent project involved a community-based participatory research and integrated knowledge translation approach to develop a tele-rehabilitation program for children with autism to improve their socio-emotional skills and daily activities. Her ongoing research involves advancing integrated healthcare and community-based services during the transition of individuals with disabilities to adulthood.
Dr. Ghanouni is now accepting PhD and/or Masters students.
- Ghanouni Parisa, Quirke Stephanie (2022). Resilience and Coping Strategies in Adults with Autism Spectrum Disorder. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disabilities, 1-12.
- Ghanouni Parisa, Seaker Liam (2022). Healthcare Services During the Transitions to Adulthood Among Individuals with ASD Aged 15–25 Years Old: Stakeholders’ Perspectives. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disabilities. 52, 2575-2588.
- Ghanouni Parisa; Hood Graham; Weisbrot Abbey; McNeil Karen (2021). Utilization of health services among adults with autism spectrum disorders: Stakeholders’ experiences. Journal of Research in Developmental Disabilities, 119:104120.
- Ghanouni Parisa, Quirke Stephanie, Blok Jennifer, Casey Amanda (2021). Independent living in adults with autism spectrum disorder: Stakeholders perspectives and experiences. Journal of research in developmental disabilities, 119, 104085.
- Ghanouni Parisa, Jarus Tal, Zwicker Jill, Lucyshyn Joseph, Ledingham Alyssa, Mow Kristin (2018). Social stories among children with autism; Validating the content of a virtual reality program. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders.
- Ghanouni Parisa, Jarus Tal, Zwicker Jill G., Chauhan Stephanie, Moir Chelsea, Stokley Elyse, and Fenn Brooke. (2017). Developing a client-centered tele-rehabilitation virtual reality program for children with autism to address socio-emotional skills. Virtual Rehabilitation (ICVR), 2017 International Conference, IEEE.
- OCCU 5043 Program Evaluation
- OCCU 6001 Enabling Occupation III: Neurotherapeutics
- OCCU 5006 Wellness and Inclusion by Design and Technology
- OCCU 6003/6013 Advanced Practice Issues
- OCCU 6513 Putting Knowledge to Use
- Canadian Society of Occupational Science
- Nova Scotia Autism Associations
Selected awards and honours
- International Conference of Virtual Reality, 2017
- Occupational Therapy and Sensory Processing Network
- Occupational Therapy and Aboriginal Peoples Health Network
- Canadian Association of Occupational Therapists