PO Box 15000
5869 University Avenue
Halifax NS B3H 4R2
- Feminist and queer phenomenology
- Diversity and health inequities in women's health
- Perinatal nursing
- Maternal child and infant health
- Caring science
Dr. Lisa Goldberg teaches in the areas of perinatal nursing, nursing philosophy, qualitative methodologies and caring science. Her provincially and nationally funded research program builds on her clinical expertise as a perinatal nurse. Using feminist/queer phenomenological methodologies, her research explores the taken-for-granted practices of nurses and primary care providers in their relationships with women in contexts of birth and beyond—specifically against the institutional backdrop of gender, power, and heteronormativity. More recently, Dr. Goldberg completed certification through the Watson Caring Science Institute as a Caritas Coach.
- International Association of Human Caring
- Gay and Lesbian Medical Association
- College of Registered Nurses of Nova Scotia
Awards and Honours
- 2017 University Teaching Award for Excellence in Education for Diversity, CLT, $1000
- 2015 Change One Thing Award Challenge. “Living theory through embodied practices: The integration of Caring Science into graduate education in nursing philosophy, CLT ($1000).
- Burrow, S., Goldberg, L., Searle, J., & Aston, A. (2018). Vulnerability, harm, and compromised ethics revealed by the experiences of queer birthing women in rural health care. Bioethical Inquiry (in press).
- Jefferies, K., Goldberg, L., Aston, M. & Tomblin Murphy, G. (2018). Understanding the Invisibility of Black Nurse Leaders Using a Black Feminist Poststructuralist Framework. Journal of Clinical Nursing (in press).
- Richardson, B., Goldberg, L., Aston, M; & Campbell-Yeo, M. (2018). eHealth versus eQuity: Using a feminist poststructural framework to explore the influence of perinatal eHealth resources on health equity. Journal of Clinical Nursing (in press)
- Goldberg, L. (2018). Living a caritas consciousness: A philosophy for our everyday practices as nurse educators. In Horton-Deutsch, S., & Anderson, J. (eds.). Caritas Coaching: A journey toward transpersonal caring for informed moral action in healthcare. Indiana, IN: Sigma Theta Tau (Invited).
- Goldberg, L., Rosenburg, N., & Watson, J. (2017) Rendering LGBTQ+ visible in nursing: Embodying the philosophy of caring science. Journal of Holistic Nursing. doi: 10.1177/0898010117715141
- Searle, J., Goldberg, L., Aston, A., & Burrow, S., (2017). Addressing trauma informed care in queer birthing women in rural Nova Scotia. Journal of Clinical Nursing, n/a-n/a. doi:10.1111/jocn.13727.