Frequently Asked Questions

Whether you are a prospective student, enrolled student or just curious about the School and/or programs – you have questions.  We hope to have answered the most commonly asked questions below.

If you require more information about the undergraduate program, please contact

If you require more information about the graduate programs, please review details at or contact

Questions and Answers of Prospective Students:

What is the Bachelor of Science-Nursing (BScN)program? A BScN degree is a three-year professional program, which prepares students to become registered nurses (RNs). For applicants who have previous university experience, we offer an advanced standing option to complete the degree.
Will I be required to submit a resume, letter of intent or any other documentation? Applicants to the BScN program will submit their application and transcripts to the Registrar's Office. All applicants to Dalhousie's Bachelor of Science (Nursing) program are required to complete a 90-minute computer-based online assessment (CASPer Test), in addition to meeting academic requirements.
What are the academic prerequisites for admission to the BScN?

Three-year, eight semester BScN program:

The BScN program is very competitive and all direct entry applicants must have completed or be in the process of completing the required grade 12 courses, and have a strong admission average to be considered for the program.

Required grade 12 courses: 

  • English*
  • Academic Math*
  • Biology*
  • Chemistry*
  • One additional university preparatory course

    *minimum 70% required in subject area for admission consideration. Meeting the minimum entrance average does not guarantee admission. 

Advanced standing option:

This two calendar year (6 semester) period of study is designed for students who have previous university study and have completed the following pre-requisite courses:

  • Anatomy 1010.03
  • English 1100.03 or other .03 writing course
  • Physiology 1010.06 (or a combination of a .03 Anatomy and Physiology, and a .06 biological science)
  • Statistics 1060.03
  • Microbiology 1100.03
  • 0.03 in a science elective
  • 0.09 in open electives
  • Minimum GPA of 2.5 on a 4.3 scale for admission consideration*

*Meeting the minimum entrance average does not guarantee admission.

Does Dalhousie School of Nursing offer an LPN to RN bridging program? The Dalhousie School of Nursing does not offer an LPN to RN bridging program. 
Can I complete the BScN via distance and/or part-time? The BScN program is full-time program which must be completed on campus.
I am a Transfer Student, will my previous coursework be counted toward my degree? Students in the Direct Entry option may be able to le to apply transfer credits in semesters 1 and 2. Transfer Students Information.
I am an International Student, what information do I need to know? For our international applicants there is specific information you will need to know before applying. Information for International Students
I have questions about fees, student loans, scholarships, bursaries, etc., who do I contact? The Office of the Registrar, Awards Department, is responsible for Undergraduate Scholarships, Undergraduate Bursaries, Temporary Loans, Canada Student Loans, Provincial Loans, US Dept. of Education Loans, Awards and Financial Aid Advice & Information at
I have questions about the application process, waitlist, application status, who do I contact? Please contact the Admissions Office at the Office of the Registrar, or 902-494-2450.

Questions and Answers of Enrolled Students:

What is First Year Nursing Orientation? First Year Nursing Orientation is a mandatory event for newly enrolled students to the BScN program. Important information will be provided to you at Orientation and will not be repeated. For more information about this event,  please contact
Does the School of Nursing provide lockers? There are a limited number of lockers available for the cost of $10. Availability is on a first come, first serve basis after July 1st. Please bring the correct cash amount to Reception, Room #109, Forrest Building.
As a Nursing student are there any certification and/or documents that I need to submit?

All students should be prepared to submit copies of the following documents:

  • Standard First Aid certification (completed after June 1)
  • Level HCP CPR (completed after June 1)
  • Childhood Immunization Record and checklist
  • Serology report (blood test for immunity check}
  • Mantoux test results
  • Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Search (completed after June 1)

Please contact for more information.

I need my childhood immunization records, where do I go? Contact your health care provider and/or the Public Health Office (in the province of birth).
How do I contact Public Health? Please contact: Public Health-Nova Scotia
Where can I have my Criminal Record Check/Vulnerable Sector Search (CRC/VSS) completed? Contact your local police or RCMP office to obtain this report.
I have Emergency First Aid, do I need to re-certify? All Nursing students are required to have Standard First Aid certification. Emergency First Aid will not be sufficient.
I have a CPR level other than HCP (Health Care Provider) is this okay? All Nursing students are required to have Level HCP (Health Care Provider) CPR
What is the deadline date to submit my document package of required pre-clinical documents? For deadline dates and submission of pre-clinical documents, please contact the Clinical Placement office,
What are the consequences of not submitting all required documents before the deadline date specified? Students that have not submitted their required pre- clinical documents will not be permitted to participate in the mandatory clinical experiences to fulfill the requirements of their program.
Are there national and international opportunities for students? Students have had the opportunity to travel across Canada and to the north. They have also visited Gambia and Tanzania. Information on International Opportunties
What is DUNS? The Dalhousie University Nursing Society (DUNS) is a student-run association that organizes activities, events and charitable initiatives. There are currently chapters at the Halifax and Yarmouth locations of the Dalhousie School of Nursing. Contact DUNS.
Who can I contact for academic advising? Students should contact their Program Coordinator or 
Research opportunities for Students? Many of our faculty members are also research scientists and there may be opportunities for students to assist.