Assistant Professor, Recreation and Leisure Studies
Phone: (902) 494-3391
Fax: (902) 494-5120
6230 South Street, P.O. Box 15000
Halifax, N.S., B3H 4R2
- HIV testing
- Institutional racism
- Racism and health
- Prostate cancer
Peer-reviewed journal articles
- Bernard, W.T. & Hamilton-Hinch, B. (2006). Making Diversity Work: From Awareness to Institutional Change. Canadian Review of Social Policy, No. 56, 131-139.
- Bernard, W.T. (Editor). (2006). Four Journeys - One Vision: ABSW Comes to Halifax-Fighting For Change: Black Social Workers in Nova Scotia. Nimbus Publishing, Halifax, N.S., Canada.
- McIntyre, S. & Hamilton-Hinch, B. Creating the Black Student Advising Centre: A Case Study. (under review.)
Other scholarly activity and research
- February 2010 - Presented at the American Therapeutic Recreation Association Conference in Beau Rivage, Mississippi.
- February 2010 - Community Advisory Committee Member for Parent Child Communication on Sexual Health and HIV.
- November 2009 - (Community Contact) for HIV Counseling and Testing in Nova Scotia.
- October 2009 - Presented at the National Recreation and Parks Association Conference in Salt Lake City, Utah. (with J. Singleton).
- March 2002 - Research Assistant for Prostate Cancer and the Black Community. Principal investigator: Patricia Melanson.
- April 2003 - Research Assistant for the Racism Violence and Health Project (a five-year action research initiative, sponsored by NSHRF Principal Investigator Dr. Wanda Thomas Bernard).
- April 2004-2007 - Member of the Reference Group for the Racism Violence and Health Project.
- September 2004-2005 - Team Member (Stadnyk, R., Loppie, C., MacDonald, N., Hamilton-Hinch, B., & MacDonald, J.), A Healthy Balance Research, Principal Investigator Dr. Brenda Beagan. I do it because I love her and I care: Snapshots of the lives of caregivers. Dalhousie University, Halifax, N.S.
- April 2009 - Presenter at the Annual Meeting at the Crossroads: Student Research in Health at Dalhousie University, Halifax, N.S.
- October 2010 - National Parks and Recreation Confernece, Minneapolis, MN. (with J. Singleton.)