Derek Kimmerly, PhD
Associate Professor, Kinesiology
Phone: (902) 494-2636
Fax: (902) 494-5120
6230 South Street, P.O. Box 15000
Halifax, N.S., B3H 4R2
(Office location: Dalplex - Kinesiology Suite 218A)
- Exercise physiology
- Blood vessel health
- Ageing and exercise
- Sympathetic nervous system and exercise
Bachelor of Science (BA), University of Waterloo
Master of Science (MA) and PhD, University of Western Ontario
CIHR Post-doctoral fellowship, University Health Network, Toronto General Hospital, Cardiology
- Human integrative physiology of exercise.
- The interaction between the autonomic nervous system and its influence on cardiac and vascular smooth muscle function.
- Influence of ageing on blood vessel function.
- Impact of aerobic fitness, physical activity levels and sedentary behaviours on cardiovascular health.
Peer-Reviewed Work Over Past 5 Years (* indicates trainees under supervision):
- *O’Brien, M.W., *M. J. Kivell, *W.R. Wojcik, *G. d’Entremont, D.S. Kimmerly and J.R. Fowles. Step rate thresholds associated with moderate to vigorous physical activity in adults. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, In Press, 2018.
- *O’Brien, M.W., *S.A. Robinson, R. Frayne, S. Mekary, J.R. Fowles, and D.S. Kimmerly. Achieving Canadian Physical Activity Guidelines is associated with better vascular function independent of aerobic fitness and sedentary time in older adults. Applied Physiology, Nutrition and Metabolism, 43(10): 1003-1009, 2018.
- *Dorey, T.W., *M.W. O’Brien, *S.A. Robinson, and D.S. Kimmerly. Knee-high compression socks minimize head-up tilt-induced cerebral and cardiovascular responses following dynamic exercise. Scandinavian Journal of Medicine and Science in Sports, 28(7): 1766-1774, 2018.
- *Klassen, S., S. De Abreu, D. Greaves, D.S. Kimmerly, P. Arbeille, P. Denise, R. Hughson, H. Normand, and J.K. Shoemaker. Long-duration bed rest modifies sympathetic neural recruitment strategies in males and females. Journal of Applied Physiology, 124(3):769-779, 2018.
- Taylor, K., P. Millar, H. Murai, N. Haruki, D.S. Kimmerly, D. Bradley, and J.S. Floras. Cortical autonomic network gray matter and sympathetic nerve activity in obstructive sleep apnea. Sleep, 41(2): zsx208, 2018.
- *Goreham J., D.S. Kimmerly, and M. Ladouceur. Using the Portapres for the measurement of toe arterial blood pressure during movement: Is it valid and reliable? Physiological Reports, 5(15): e13369, 2017.
- Kimmerly D.S. A review of human neuroimaging investigations involved with central autonomic regulation of baroreflex-mediated cardiovascular control. Autonomic Neuroscience: Basic and Clinical, 207:10-21, 2017.
- Taylor K.S., H. Murai, P.J. Millar, N. Haruki, D.S. Kimmerly, B.L. Morris, G. Tomlinson, D. Bradley, and J.S. Floras. Arousal from sleep and sympathetic excitation during wakefulness. Hypertension, 68: 1467-1474, 2016.
- *Lee S., and D.S. Kimmerly. Influence of music on maximal self-paced running performance and passive post-exercise recovery rate. Journal of Sports Medicine and Physical Fitness, Jan-Feb; 56(1-2): 39-48, 2016.
- Taylor K.S., A. Kucyi, P.J. Millar, H. Murai, D.S. Kimmerly, B.L. Morris, T.D. Bradley, and J.S. Floras. Association between resting state brain functional connectivity and muscle sympathetic burst incidence. Journal of Neurophysiology, 115(2): 662-73, 2016.
- *O’Neill C.D., D.S. Kimmerly, and S. Dogra. Central and peripheral response to incremental cycling exercise in older untrained active men: A comparison of those in-between. Physiological Research, 65(2): 303-309, 2016.
- *Legault Z., *N. Bagnall, and D.S. Kimmerly. The influence of oral L-glutamine supplementation on muscle strength recovery and soreness following unilateral knee extension eccentric exercise. International Journal of Sports Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism, 25(5): 417-26, 2015.
- Kimmerly D.S, B.L. Morris, and J.S. Floras. Apnea-induced cortical BOLD-fMRI and peripheral sympathoneural firing response patterns of awake healthy humans. PLoS One, 8(12): e82525, 2013.
- Yumino D., T. Kasai, D. Kimmerly, V. Amirthalingam, J.S. Floras, and T.D. Bradley. Differing effects of obstructive and central sleep apneas on stroke volume in patients with heart failure. American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, 187(4):433-8, 2013.