University Teaching Fellow
Phone: (902) 494-2534
Fax: (902) 494-6849
5850 College Street
PO Box 15000
Halifax, NS B3H 4R2 Canada
- Health law and policy
- Tort law
Michael Hadskis is a faculty member of the School of Health Administration, the Schulich School of Law, and the Health Law Institute. Michael teaches courses in the areas of health law and tort law. His research is both interdisciplinary and collaborative and deals with contemporary health law and policy issues.
- BSc (Hons), Dalhousie University
- LLB, Dalhousie University
- LLM, Osgoode Hall, York University
Selected awards and honours
- Appointed, University Teaching Fellow, 2019
- 2018 Recipient, Hanna and Harold Barnett Award for Excellence in Teaching First Year Law (Schulich School of Law) – Nominee in 2020
- 2017 Recipient, Faculty of Health Teaching Excellence Award (Health Faculty-wide Award)
- 2014 Recipient, Law Student Society and Alumni Association Award for Teaching Excellence, 2014 (Schulich School of Law) – Nominee in 2020, 2011 and 2008
- 2007 Recipient, Dalhousie Health Sciences Research Ethics Board Distinguished Service Award
- 2018 and 2014 Nominee, Dalhousie Alumni Association Award of Excellence for Teaching (University-wide Teaching Award)
- 2017-18: "Developing Vaccine Product Monograph Language that Supports Evidence-based Use of Vaccines in Maternal Immunization Programs" - $157,791 Public Health Agency of Canada, Co-investigator
- 2011-17: "Rehabilitative and Diagnostic Innovation in Applied Neuro Technologies (RADIANT)” - $1,650,000 Natural Sciences Engineering Research Council, Collaborator
- 2004-10: "Neuroimaging Ethics: From Theory to Practice" - $1,484,868 Canadian Institutes of Health Research, Co-investigater
Current service and activity
- Member, Research Ethics Appeal Board, Dalhousie University
- Member, Admissions Committee, Schulich School of Law
- Chair, Marketing Committee, School of Health Administration
- “Developing Product Label Information to Support Evidence - Informed Use of Vaccines in Pregnancy" (2019) 37:48 Vaccine 7138-7146 (with Manca TA, Graham JE, et al.).
- Dental Law in Canada, Third Edition (Toronto: LexisNexis, 2019) (with Leah Hutt and Mary McNally).
- "A Critique of Canadian Jurisprudence on the Theraputic Privilege Exception to Informed Consent" (2018) 12:1 McGill Journal of Law and Health 1-28.
- "Incidental Findings and the Minimal Risk Standard in Pediatric Neuroimaging Research” (2015) 37(5) IRB: Ethics & Human Research 11-19 (with Matthias Schmidt, Jocelyn Downie, and Jennifer Marshall).
- "Informed consent comes to Britain" (2015) 44(3). The Advocates' Quarterly 403-410 (with Vaughan Black).
- "In Defense of Consent and Capacity Boards for End-of-Life Care" (2014) 61(10) Canadian Journal of Anesthesia 899-904 (with Jocelyn Downie).
- "Pediatric Magnetic Resonance Research and the Minimal Risk Standard” (2011) 33(5) IRB: Ethics & Human Research 1-6 (with Matthias Schmidt, Jennifer Marshall, and Jocelyn Downie).