2nd Annual Dalhousie Student IMPACT Awards
An awards ceremony was held on March 26, 2013 to honour students from all faculties at Dalhousie who have made a positive impact upon other students and the reputation of their faculty at Dalhousie outside of the classroom. Terry Michalopoulos received this year's award. Here is an extract from the program:
Elefetherios (Terry) Michalopoulos
- Sarted at Dalhousie at age 66 to fulfill a promise to his late wife, Anna marie, to pursue an education.
- In 2008, at age 67, Terry walked 820 kilometres for the Heart & Stroke foundation of Nova Scotia in memory of Anna Marie.
- Has raised tens of thousands of dollars for walking 27 days on Spain's Camino de Santiago de Compostela Pilgrimage Trail and has touched countless lives with his story.
- Has volunteered his time teaching children in Mexico and has been invited by the Mexican Ministry of Education to give a series of inspirational talks to 3,000 students.
- An inspiration not only for his fellow students but also for his teachers.
- Works to provide educational opportunities to young rural children who would otherwise not have access to instruction in English language.