Explore what it means to be human with Arts and Social Sciences
Dalhousie's Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences (FASS) offers a world of choices. We are the oldest and one of the largest faculties on campus. We boast hundreds of courses. 140 professors. Thirty-five academic programs.
The Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences encompasses the arts, humanities and social sciences.
Dive into thought-provoking courses such as Youth and Society, Explorations in Religion, Gender Theory and World Politics. Open new doors by learning a new language, with classes in Arabic, French, German, Spanish, Italian, Russian, even Mandarin. Sharpen your reasoning skills and writing abilities by taking a literature or philosophy class. Step into the spotlight in a theatre or music class. Build on what you're learning in the classroom by taking one of our many Experiential Learning course offerings. Learn about international development first-hand by living abroad for a semester. And give an extra boost to your resume by completing one (or more) of our certificate programs.
Read what leading publications have to say about the limitless opportunities offered by Liberal and Performing Arts degrees.
- The Globe and Mail (January 2020): No, I'm actually not worried about what I'll 'do' with my arts degree (written by a Dalhousie FASS student)
- CBC (January 2020): Education without liberal arts is a threat to humanity, argues UBC president
- MacLean’s (July 2016): Revenge of the arts: Why a liberal arts education pays off
- Time Magazine (August 2017): Why We Need the Liberal Arts Now More Than Ever
- Toronto Star (September 2015): Liberal arts degrees teach synthesis, the skill that lasts
- Forbes (November 2016): A Liberal Arts Degree Is More Important Than Ever