Dalhousie will assist you financially in any way we can; however, policy determines who is eligible for Bursary Program funds. Dalhousie University is neither structured, nor mandated, to provide emergency financial services. We do not cover current or previous debts, nor do we consider outstanding fees or other charges from a previous term.
Criteria for bursary applicants:
- be registered in an undergraduate degree, the DDH or MSW program at Dalhousie University. Students may access the bursary program for a maximum of five years.
- be registered in a minimum of 6 credit hours of classes per term.
- be in good academic standing.
- prove financial need.
- have applied for government student loans and/or a bank line of credit.
- Bursary assistance is available for only the current academic term.
- Visiting students from other institutions are not eligible for bursaries.
- Use of Dalhousie property for whatever legitimate reason (e.g., class attendance, accommodation, parking, Dalplex, payment of fees in arrangement with another university, or enrolment in a joint program whether or not Dalhousie's name is attached thereto) is not considered registration at Dalhousie University.
- LLB, MD, DDS and graduate (except MSW) students can contact their respective faculty offices for bursary information. Faculty of Agriculture students apply for bursary funding through the common award application.
Proof of financial need:
- You must provide proof of financial need by filling out a bursary application through Dal Online.
- Families are expected to contribute to the cost of your education, if they have the means to do so.
- Students are considered dependent on their parents for the first four years out of high school. If you have exceptional circumstances, note them in your application.
Government and/or bank student loans:
Students are expected to use all available resources outside of the university before applying to the Bursary Program, including government student loan and/or bank line of credit funding. If you are not eligible for either program, you must provide reasons in the bursary application.