News» Go to news main
Sustainable Oceans 2018 Conference
Sustainable Oceans is the annual conference organized by Master of Marine Management students of the Marine Affairs Program at Dalhousie University and supported by the Sobey Fund for Oceans. In it’s seventh year, Sustainable Oceans is the only student-led conference of its kind in Atlantic Canada. The 2018 conference will take place on Saturday, September 22nd and Sunday, September 23rd in the Student Union Building at Dalhousie University.
News about ocean related issues often focuses on negative perspectives despite research efforts and conservation success stories. The aim of Sustainable Oceans 2018 is to promote behavioural change and improve ocean literacy to reconnect people with the marine environment and inspire ocean friendly choices in our daily lives. Together, these aspects inspire a future of happy and healthy oceans, which will be explored through three sub-themes:
- Connection – exploring personal, spiritual and community connections with the marine environment
- Innovation – new and inventive approaches to addressing complex ocean issues
- Optimism – recognizing the positive strides and solutions to improve the health of our oceans
This year’s conference will include keynote addresses by Dr. David Shiffman – shark ecologist and science communicator, and Dr. Denise Herzing – marine mammal biologist and founder of the Wild Dolphin Project, as well as student presentations, a photography contest and a community fair featuring local marine-related organizations.
The conference is a free and public event, accessible to all who are interested in learning more about the oceans and becoming engaged in marine conservation and stewardship. For more information and to register for the event, please visit: www.dal.ca/sustainableoceans.
- Sustainable Ocean 2021 ‑ Seeing Beyond the Shoreline
- Sustainable Oceans 2019 ‑ One Ocean, Infinite Connections
- Sustainable Oceans 2018 Conference
- Sustainable Oceans 2017 Conference
- SAVE THE DATE: 2016 Sustainable Oceans Conference
- SUSTAINABLE OCEANS 2015 CONFERENCE ‑ PUBLIC LECTURE
- SFO Scholarship recipient speaks at Dalhousie donor event
- Today @Dal covers the 2014 Sustainable Oceans Conference