News» Go to news main
Sustainable Oceans 2017 Conference
Sustainable Oceans is the annual Sobey Fund for Oceans conference led by the Master of Marine Management students of the Marine Affairs Program at Dalhousie University. It is the only student-run oceans conference in Nova Scotia, and has been presented annually since 2012. The 2017 conference will take place in Halifax on September 22nd & 23rd and will include keynote speakers Dr. Julia Baum and Mr. Nick Hawkins, student presentations, a marine pollution panel discussion, and “You, Me, and the Sea” family programming.
The theme of this year’s conference is “Seeing Blue: Envisioning our Future Oceans,” challenging participants to think critically about the future health of our coastal and marine environments. This will be explored through a series of three subthemes:
- Collaboration: innovative approaches to collective participation
- Communication: effective ocean education and literacy towards a sustainable future
- Creativity: pioneering programs that take a creative approach for a brighter oceans vision
The conference is free and accessible to all who are interested in learning more about the oceans, and becoming engaged in marine conservation and stewardship. For more information, and to register, please visit: www.dal.ca/sustainableoceans.
The conference organizers acknowledge the Halifax Central Library for generously hosting the Saturday program. The conference is a key activity of the Sobey Fund for Oceans. The Fund is a unique partnership between the Marine Affairs Program (MAP), Dalhousie University and WWF-Canada.
- Sustainable Ocean 2021 ‑ Seeing Beyond the Shoreline
- Sustainable Oceans 2019 ‑ One Ocean, Infinite Connections
- Sustainable Oceans 2018 Conference
- Sustainable Oceans 2017 Conference
- SAVE THE DATE: 2016 Sustainable Oceans Conference
- SUSTAINABLE OCEANS 2015 CONFERENCE ‑ PUBLIC LECTURE
- SFO Scholarship recipient speaks at Dalhousie donor event
- Today @Dal covers the 2014 Sustainable Oceans Conference