News» Go to news main
SAVE THE DATE: 2016 Sustainable Oceans Conference
Be it for food, employment, recreation, or simply the production of oxygen, the ocean acts as a unifying body, connecting and supporting all life on earth. This global force has the power to bring together people from a multitude of fields and backgrounds to address ocean issues. Finding a common thread amongst diverse actors will allow us to weave a tapestry of integrated solutions that contribute to enhancing the sustainability of marine resources.
Sustainable Oceans 2016 is a student-run conference led by the Master of Marine Management students of the Marine Affairs Program at Dalhousie University. With the overarching theme of the conference being Into the Blue: The Body Connecting Us All, the purpose is to integrate the public and academic sectors through examining unique connections to the ocean. The aim is to bring together people and research from around the world to explore our unique connections to the ocean, and share viewpoints on how to approach ocean issues as the pressures of climate change increase.
The following themes will be explored:
1) Our Brain: Ocean Education and Literacy
2) Our Stomach: Sustainable Seafood
3) Our Heart: Marine Conservation
4) Our Lungs: Ocean Resources
Our goal for the conference is to provide recommendations to Canadians on how they can contribute to the targets of the UN’s Sustainable Development Goal 14: Conserve and sustainably use the oceans, seas and marine resources.
Sustainable Oceans 2016 will include a keynote address, oral and poster presentations, interactive breakout sessions, and public engagement activities. The conference is currently open for abstract submissions!
We would like to acknowledge the Halifax Central Library for generously hosting the conference. The conference is supported by the Sobey Fund for Oceans. The Fund is a unique partnership between the Marine Affairs Program (MAP), Dalhousie University and WWF-Canada.
If you have any questions, feel free to get in touch!
Reach us by email at: OceansConf@dal.ca
- Sustainable Ocean 2021 ‑ Seeing Beyond the Shoreline
- Sustainable Oceans 2019 ‑ One Ocean, Infinite Connections
- Sustainable Oceans 2018 Conference
- Sustainable Oceans 2017 Conference
- SAVE THE DATE: 2016 Sustainable Oceans Conference
- SUSTAINABLE OCEANS 2015 CONFERENCE ‑ PUBLIC LECTURE
- SFO Scholarship recipient speaks at Dalhousie donor event
- Today @Dal covers the 2014 Sustainable Oceans Conference