Current research interests:
- Measurement and determinants of social exclusion and poverty
- Measurement of economic well-being
- Leisure co-ordination and economic well-being
- Time use and economic development
- Economic insecurity
- University Research Professor – July 1, 2005 – June 30, 2010
- McCulloch Professor of Economics, July 1, 1995--
- Professor with Tenure, Department of Economics, 1985--.
- Associate Professor with Tenure, Department of Economics, 1981-1985
- Assistant Professor, Department of Economics, Dalhousie University, 1977-80.
- The Economic Implications of Social Cohesion (edited) University of Toronto Press , Toronto, 2003, 249 pages
- Principles of Microeconomics: Fourth Cdn. Edition – 2012 McGraw-Hill Ryerson, Toronto - joint with Frank/Bernanke/Cross/MacLean
- Principles of Macroeconomics: Fourth Cdn. Edition – 2012 McGraw-Hill Ryerson, Toronto - joint with Frank/Bernanke/Cross/MacLean
- Hard Money, Hard Times (edited with P. Fortin) James Lorimer Publishers, Toronto, 1998, 202 pages.
- The Unemployment Crisis: All for Naught (edited with B. MacLean) McGill/Queen's University Press (1996) 251 pages.
- Unnecessary Debts, (edited with P. Fortin), (ed.), James Lorimer Publishers, Toronto, 1996, 200 pages.
- Vanishing Jobs: Canada's Changing Workplaces (with F. Wien and J. Grude), James Lorimer Publishers, Toronto (1995) 215 pages.
- A Social Charter for Canada (edited with S. Phipps) C.D. Howe Institute, Toronto, February (1992).
- Economic Inequality and Poverty: International Perspectives (editor) M.E. Sharpe Ltd. Armonk, New York (1991), 257 pages.
- The Information Economy: the Implications of Unbalanced Growth (with W. Baumol & E.N. Wolff) Institute for Research on Public Policy (1989), 114 pages.
- Economic Inequality in the United States, M.E. Sharpe Ltd., Armonk, New York (1984), 288 pages.
- Economic Inequality in Canada, Butterworth Publishing Co., Toronto (1981), 236 pages.