» Go to news main
Celebrating inaugural part‑time teaching award recipient Lindsay McNiff
SIM director Sandra Toze, Lindsay McNiff and interim dean Vivian Howard.
This year, the Faculty of Management created a new award to celebrate part-time instructors who exhibit educational leadership, innovation and sustained commitment to excellence in teaching and learning. The inaugural recipient is Lindsay McNiff.
McNiff is the Learning & Instruction Librarian at Dalhousie Libraries and has been a part-time instructor in the School of Information Management since 2015, where she teaches courses on information retrieval and information literacy instruction. She programs and delivers an academic support workshop series for MI students, which includes topics such as citation management, conference posters and strategies for group work.
McNiff is known for providing practical opportunities for students to learn through role playing, simulations and deep learning exercises in groups. Students appreciate the way her assignments build off each other and include reflective elements.
“Lindsay is an empathetic and engaging teacher,” says Nicole Marcoux, a student in the MI program who nominated McNiff. “Her friendliness and earnest desire to support her students set her apart.”
Sandra Toze, SIM director, notes that “Lindsay exceeds the expectations of her role. She is an incredibly valuable part of the SIM family and has a significant impact on our student experience. She is highly deserving of this award.”
The Faculty of Management Part-time Teaching Award is awarded to a part-time, CUPE or sessional member of the Faculty of Management teaching staff. The award is chosen by a committee comprising the associate dean academic, faculty members and a student representative. The award was created as part of priority 2.3 of the Faculty’s strategic plan, which aims to provide initiatives that recognize the multiple contributions of students, staff and faculty.
- SIM Alumni ‑ Higher Education News
- MI Student Wins 2nd Place at Virtual Reality Ocean Challenge
- Job Postings: Part‑Time Academic (2), Summer 2020
- MI Granted Continued ALA Accreditation Status
- Job Posting: Assistant Professor, Associate Professor, or Lecturer
- “The more things change, the more they remain the same”: Dalhousie’s School of Information Management celebrates 50 years
- Dr. Mike Smit: Research Buzz
- Cassandra Larose Chosen as the 2019 Recipient of the Dalhousie‑Horrocks National Leadership Fund