JBI CSRTP Information
Aligning Health Needs and Evidence for Transformative Change (AH-NET-C): A JBI Centre of Excellence
JBI Comprehensive Systematic Review Training Program Dates May 22-24 & 27-28, 2024
(Choose to join online or in person at Dalhousie University in Halifax, NS)
AH-NET-C: A JBI Centre of Excellence is pleased to offer the 2023 JBI Comprehensive Systematic Review Training Program (CSRTP) in collaboration with the University of New Brunswick (UNB) Saint John Collaboration for Evidence-Informed Healthcare: A JBI Centre of Excellence. The intensive, 5-day program is designed to prepare health sciences researchers, clinicians, librarians, graduate students, and other individuals involved in quality and practice portfolios to develop, conduct and report systematic reviews of evidence.
This activity-driven program includes rigorous methods and tools to appraise and synthesize evidence from research literature and documentary sources. Participants gain hands-on experience in drafting a systematic review protocol, including defining the question(s) and the search, retrieval, and selection of research for the review. You will critically analyze sample quantitative and qualitative research and expert opinion papers as part of the review process and be introduced to JBI software (e.g., SUMARI) for performing meta-analysis and meta-synthesis of selected studies. You will also examine the nature of evidence and its role in healthcare to understand further how evidence transfers into healthcare practice.
The program will be offered based on a minimum number of attendees. Payment is required before registration can be confirmed. Class size is limited. Please email email@example.com for further information.
Date & Format
Dates for 2024 : May 22-24 & 27-28, 2024
Participants are expected to attend all sessions in full to qualify for JBI certification. Time for lunch and short breaks will be scheduled in between sessions.
The training is a blend of main sessions, and group activities delivered online and in person. Participants can choose to attend virtually or on-site at Dalhousie University in Halifax, NS. The training will occur in real-time and will not be recorded for future viewing.
Notes about in-person attendance:
· Course content will be delivered online for all participants. In-person participants will have the opportunity to collaborate with others in person on the group work exercises.
· At least one instructor will be on-site.
· No food or beverages will be provided for in-person participants.
· Module 1: Introduction to Evidence-Based Healthcare and the Systematic Review of Evidence (day 1)
· Module 2: The Systematic Review of Evidence Generated through Quantitative Research (days 2 and 3)
· Module 3: The Systematic Review of Evidence Generated by Qualitative Research, Narrative and Text (days 4 and 5)
Participants will learn to:
· Use JBI software tools to draft a systematic review protocol, including identifying a question, searching, retrieving, and selecting research for the review.
· Critically appraise sample quantitative and qualitative research and text and opinion as part of the review process.
· Use JBI software to perform a meta-analysis and meta-synthesis of selected studies.
· Overview of Knowledge to Action
· Overview of Evidence-Based Practice
· Designing Protocols for Systematic Review
· Systematic Review of Quantitative Evidence
· Systematic Review of Qualitative Evidence
· Systematic Review of Text and Opinion
· Introduction to Mixed Methods Systematic Reviews, Scoping Reviews, and Umbrella Reviews
AH-NET-C JBI Certified Instructors
- Janet Curran, RN, PhD, Professor, AH-NET-C Co-Director, Dalhousie University
- Lisa Keeping-Burke, RN, PhD, Associate Professor, Director, University of New Brunswick (UNB) Saint John Collaboration for Evidence-Informed Healthcare: A JBI Centre of Excellence.
- Lori Weeks, PhD, Professor, Dalhousie University
Full 5-day attendance is required to obtain JBI Reviewer certification.
Participants present review protocols on the final day of class. CSRTP participants will have complimentary access to JBI SUMARI for 12 months from the date of account activation. JBI certification is included in the cost of the program.
Materials and Technical Requirements
A full agenda will be emailed in advance of the training. All course materials will be provided electronically 1–2 weeks before the course.
· Computer/laptop with a microphone and camera (built-in or external)
· Stable internet connection (those joining in person will have access to the Dalhousie wi-fi)
· Headphones (recommended)
Application and Payment
Fees TBA – email firstname.lastname@example.org to be notified.