Professor and Director, School of Nursing, Assistant Dean Research, Faculty of Health
Dr. Martin-Misener’s health services research uses mixed methods to evaluate implementation and outcomes of innovative interdisciplinary team-based models of care in primary health care and long-term care with a particular focus on nurse practitioner and other advanced and specialized nursing roles. She teaches and supervises students in the Master’s and PhD programs.
- Member, BRIC-NS, Network in Primary and Integrated Health Care Innovations
- Co-Director, Canadian Centre for Advanced Practice Nursing (CCAPNR), McMaster University, 2012-present
- Co-Lead, Collaborative Research in Primary Health Care, Dalhousie, 2013-present
- Member, Research Management Committee, Canadian Frailty Network, Network Centre of Excellence (NCE). Nominated by Canadian Nurses Association, 2013-present
- Chair (Appointed by Council), Nurse Practitioner Committee, College of Registered Nurses of Nova Scotia, 2002-present
Awards & Honours
- Decade Club, Nova Scotia Heath Research Foundation, 2016
- 65 Inspiring Minds, Dalhousie School of Nursing, 2013
- Centennial Award of Distinction, College of Registered Nurses of Nova Scotia, 2011
- Fellow, Canadian Institutes for Health Research (CIHR) Strategic Training Initiative in Health Research, Transdisciplinary Understanding and Training on Research - Primary Health Care Program (TUTOR-PHC), 2005-2006
Martin-Misener, R. & Bryant-Lukosius, D. (in-press). Editors’ Reflections on Progress in the Development of Advanced Practice Nursing in Canada. Canadian Journal of Nursing Leadership, 29(3), 6-13.
Harbman, P., Bryant-Lukosius, D., Martin-Misener, R., Carter, N., Donald, F., Gibbins, S., Kilpatrick, K., McKinley, J., Rawson, K.,Sherifali, D., Tramner. J., Valaitis, R. (2016). Partners in Research: Building Academic-Practice Partnerships to Educate and Mentor Advanced Practice Nurses. Journal of Evaluation in Clinical Practice. DOI: 10.1111/jep.12630.
Martin-Misener, R., Kilpatrick, K., Donald, F., Bryant-Lukosius, D., Rayner, J., Valaitis, R., Carter, N., Miller, PA, Landry, V., Harbman, P., Charbonneau-Smith, R., McKinlay, J., Ziegler, E., Boesveld, S., & Lamb, A. (2016). Nurse Practitioner Caseload in Primary Health Care: Scoping Review. International Journal of Nursing Studies, 62, 170-182.
Lacny, S., Zarrabi, M., Martin-Misener, R., Donald, F., Sketris, I., Murphy, A., DiCenso, A., Marshall, D.A. Cost-Effectiveness of a Nurse Practitioner-Family Physician Model of Care in a Nursing Home. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 72(9), 2138-52.
Martin-Misener, R., Harbman, P., Donald, F., Reid, K., Kilpatrick, K., Carter, N., Bryant-Lukosius, D., Kaasalainen, S., Marshall, D.A., Charbonneau-Smith, R., & DiCenso, A. (2015). Cost-effectiveness of nurse practitioners in ambulatory care: systematic review. BMJ Open 5:e007167 doi:10.1136/bmjopen-2014-007167 http://bmjopen.bmj.com/cgi/content/full/bmjopen-2014-007167?ijkey=uzaooKIc7lMSWrv&keytype=ref
Martin-Misener, R., Donald, F., Wickson-Griffiths, A., Akhtar-Danesh, N., Ploeg, J., Brazil, K., Kaasalainen, S., McAiney, C., Carter, N., Schindel-Martin, L., Sangster-Gormley, E., & Taniguchi, A. (2015). A mixed methods study of the work patterns of full-time nurse practitioners in Canadian nursing homes. Journal of Clinical Nursing. 24, (9-10), 1327-1337. Article first published online: 19 Dec. 2014 DOI: 10.1111/jocn.12741