Graduate Students

Information specific to Electrical and Computer Engineering graduates can be found in this section. Use the menu to your right.

Graduate students are also encouraged to visit Dalhousie's Faculty of Graduate Studies website and the Faculty of Engineering website for information related to your graduate studies.

Important information for new students

Your Dalhousie ID card

You are required to obtain an ID card, which states your name, status, and student number.  This can be obtained at the Student Services Centre, Building B (just inside the main entrance doors), Sexton Campus.

Computer Accounts

Applications for computer accounts are available from the Academic Computing Help Desk, located behind Student Services in 'B' building of Sexton Campus. (See more info on Sexton Student Services.) You must fill out the application in full and present it with a valid ID card in order to activate your account. Once this is done you can use the computer labs on campus. Please be sure to notify the office of your e-mail address so you don't miss any important notices. Please note that only official Dalhousie e-mail addresses will be used for university correspondence.

Notice boards

General notices, seminars, thesis presentations, call for papers, employment opportunities, graduate course information, and University posters are posted on the various message boards throughout the department. You should check these boards - especially the Graduate notice board, at least once a week.

Office space, mail, phone and photocopier

Office space

If you are registered full time and require an office in which to study, please inform the the ECE office (C367) and every effort will be made to find a desk in one of the graduate rooms for you. Please note that these desks are the property of the university and are NOT to be moved. Keys to these rooms are available, but you may have a few days wait after your request has been submitted. There is a $50.00 deposit per key, required at time of pick up. This will be refunded when the key is returned.


Personal mail should NOT be forwarded to the university. University mail will be placed in mail slots outside the office and you should check this regularly as you will not be notified that you have mail. Mail is sorted alphabetically by last name. You will be notified by email of any faxes or confidential mailings, which you can pick up in the office.


There is one phone in each Graduate room. These phones are to be used for local calls only. We have a Voice Mail system called Message Manager. Please ask the other Graduate students (or see office staff) to learn how to get your messages. The password to enable the system can be obtained from the office secretary. Please do NOT change the password.


There is a photocopier across the hall from the ECE office. If your supervisor deems it necessary, you will be given an access code enabling you to make copies on his/her research account. Please be advised you CANNOT copy books, as this constitutes a copyright infringement. Also, remember to be quick, as many others use this machine and you may have to give priority to Department staff and faculty members.

Payroll information

Dalhousie has moved to a direct deposit system for all paycheques.  You must provide Personnel Services with information - visit the Payroll and Information Services page for more information.  Deposit slips are available on Dal Online only (as of Jan 1, 2006).

On- and off-campus housing

If you are looking for a place to stay while at Dalhousie, you may contact Housing and Conference Services. They can be reached at 494-3365 between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., or via email at

Student societies

There are a number of student societies that may help you with various issues you encounter on campus. Explore the Graduate Student Society website.