1. Co-op work term report
- The co-op work term reports must be submitted to the Departmental Office within the first week of the start of the term after every 4-month work term. Please review Information for Co-op Students going out on their first Work-term in May for complete details.
- The work term report should be about a project that you personally worked on and it should be technical in nature. A general overview of the company or organization should be included in the introduction along with a process flow sheet, if applicable. You are welcome to include any professional interactions, incidents involving engineering ethics and law in a separate section.
- A research paper or a document you produced for the company is not acceptable.
- Work term reports are submitted to the department as professional technical documents that are formal with respect to both manner of expression and style of presentation. Good sentence structure, formal tone and word usage, proper formatting, and the correct presentation of equations and graphs are all required. The department's Format and Style Guide is to be followed in this regard.
The Department will not enter into any confidentiality agreement with your employer. You must discuss this with your employer at the beginning of your work term and have your report released by them for review by any Faculty member.
3. Monthly Experience Records
The Monthly Experience Record, as required by Engineers Nova Scotia, should be completed and signed by your supervisor at the end of each month and be included in the appendix of your work term report. Students are required to submit Monthly Experience Records at the end of every registered 4-month work term.
4. Performance appraisal form
- The performance appraisal should be completed online prior to you leaving your work term placement. This is submitted electronically to the Co-op Office. You have until the end of the first week of the term to have this completed.
- If your supervisor prefers to complete a hard copy of the performance appraisal, please download and print off from the co-op website. This can be faxed to the co-op office or submitted with your work term report.
- It is your responsibility to have the performance appraisal completed by your supervisor. Without the submission of the performance appraisal, you will obtain an 'Incomplete' grade.
- If, after repeated attempts, you fail to get your supervisor to submit this - within two weeks of the term - inform both the department and the co-op office immediately. The co-op office will then pursue the matter on your behalf.
- Civil Co-op Advisor - Dr. D. Hansen
- Environmental Co-op Advisor - Dr. Lei Liu
- Mineral Resource Co-op Advisor - Dr. Navid Bahrani
- The Dalhousie Co-op Office website contains information on the Co-op Program, Co-op Work Term Report, and the Performance Appraisal Form.
- The Association of Professional Engineers of Nova Scotia website has information on the
Monthly Experience Records and Pre-Grad Experience.
- The Faculty of Engineering Section of the Undergraduate Calendar website has general information on the Co-op program.