Applying for a Computer Science Exchange
1. Application Deadlines
- January 30 – for an exchange period starting in the Dalhousie Fall term
- October 1 – for an exchange period beginning in the Dalhousie Winter term
You should research the universities, countries and cities that interest you. You can choose up to three destination universities, and while it is almost certain that if your application is successful, you will be nominated to your first choice, it would be wise to choose more than one.
Participating in an international exchange will involve a significant amount of responsibility on your part. You will need to deal with the logistics of an exchange, such as obtaining or renewing your passport, applying for any required study permits or visas, researching and arranging for health and travel insurance, booking your travel, arranging your accommodation, meeting with your academic advisor, and obtaining Letters of Permission for the courses you intend to take.
You are encouraged to familiarise yourself with general and specific risks associated with travelling to your chosen destinations. Read the Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade issued Travel reports.
3. Check your eligibility
To be considered for a Faculty of Computer Science exchange program, you must:
- be a full-time student in a FCS degree program
- be in good academic standing with a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or above
- have completed at least five courses at Dalhousie
- be eligible to register at Dalhousie for the period of the exchange
- have at least one term of courses to complete at Dalhousie following your exchange period
- satisfy any additional conditions required by the partner university
- have no convictions for criminal offences in any country
- have not been found to be in breach of the Intellectual Honesty policy or Code of Student Conduct of Dalhousie University
- agree to act as an ambassador for the Faculty of Computer Science during your exchange period
4. Prepare your application
- Determine the exchange period that best fits your degree program
- Determine the courses you need to fulfill your degree requirements
- Check that the universities you have selected for exchange offer courses that will meet your degree requirements
- Select courses offered by your first-choice university, and meet with a FCS advisor to discuss your choices. You should choose more courses than you need in case some are not available when you register
5. Submit your application
You will need the following:
- An unofficial Dalhousie transcript (from Dal online)
- The list of courses you propose to take at your first-choice university
If you need to amend your application after you have submitted it online, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Do not re-apply.
6. After your application is complete
Your application will be assessed by the Faculty of Computer Science, following which you may be interviewed by the FCS exchange selection committee. If you are selected for exchange, you will be instructed to complete a Learning Agreement, and the International Centre will help you with the non-academic aspects of your exchange program.
If you are nominated to study at a partner institution, you may be asked to complete the partner university’s application, and will be required to participate in pre-departure meetings and sessions.