Assistant Professor of Violin, Viola and Conducting
- Chamber Music
- Orchestral Conducting
- BM East Carolina University
- MM University of Southern California (performance)
- MM East Carolina University (orchestral conducting)
- DMA University of Iowa (ABD)
Research and Creative Activity
Praised for his “assured and lovely” playing, Leonardo Perez is an active orchestral, chamber and solo performer. Perez has performed with orchestras throughout the United States, including the Des Moines Symphony Orchestra, Quad City Symphony Orchestra and Evansville Philharmonic, and has appeared as soloist with symphony orchestras throughout North Carolina, including the Raleigh Symphony Orchestra. Previously the violinist for the Center for New Music Ensemble, he has worked with notable composers such as Caroline Shaw, David Gompper, Dan Welcher and Nomi Epstein. An active and dedicated teacher, he taught violin and viola at Indiana University of Pennsylvania and was the orchestra director of the IUP Symphony Orchestra. He has been invited to work with students at the Preucil School of Music and the East Carolina University Summer Chamber Music Institute, and coached undergraduate chamber ensembles at the University of Iowa as an assistant chamber music coach. As an advocate for outreach initiatives, Perez has worked with students in interactive concerts throughout Iowa, California and North Carolina.
- Appearances as Alumni Artist for the Four Seasons Chamber Music Festival: chamber music performances with Ara Gregorian, Hagai Shaham, Emanuel Gruber, Xiao Dong Wang, Colin Carr, Micheal Kannen, Melissa Reardon, Hye-jin Kim.
- World premiere recording of American composer John Ross's Piano Trio
- Worked under conductors Michael Tilson Thomas, Carl St. Clair and Gerard Schwarz
- Concert tours throughout the USA as the first violinist of the Voce String Quartet and violinist of the Litton Piano Trio
Personal webpage link: