Honours in English (post September 2018)
BA Honours in English (120 Credit Hours)
The Honours Program in English offers students the opportunity for intensive study, through seminar courses and individual research. The Program provides excellent preparation for graduate studies in literature as well as for programs such as education and law.
Unlike admission to the Major program, admission to the Honours program is competitive and requires a special application, often made during the second year. To be considered for the Concentrated or Combined Honours program, students must attain a 3.3 average GPA in upper-level English courses, and apply to the Undergraduate Advisor in English.
1. Students must meet the Faculty requirements for Concentrated Honours, which include 54 to 66 credit hours in English above the 1000 level, including at least 18 credit hours beyond 2000 level. Among the English courses, students must take:
1) Critical Methods (recommended) 2) Medieval
3) Renaissance 4) 18th Century
5) Romantics 6) Victorian
7) Modern British 8) American
9) Canadian 10) Postcolonial/World Literature
11) Cultural Studies/Popular Culture 12) Writing/Creative Writing/Language
3. 15 credit hours at the 4000 level (including 4900.03 Honours Capstone)
4. ENGL 4901.00 Honours Essay
Please consult the Academic Calendar for more detailed information.