Dal Alert!

Receive alerts from Dalhousie by text message.


Graduate Programs

Master of Architecture

The two-year MArch program is the final part of the School's professional program. It is preceded by two years of general (non-architecture) studies at any university and two years of architecture in Dalhousie's pre-professional Bachelor of Environmental Design Studies program. The MArch program consists of four academic terms and an eight-month co-op work term. It includes seven courses in architectural design, humanities, technology, and professional practice, plus four electives and a design thesis. The MArch program begins in the summer term, in early May.

Students who have not yet studied architecture should apply to the BEDS program.

Most transfer students who have completed a four-year pre-professional architecture degree (BAS, BED, BES, BSc[Arch], BArchSci, etc.) at another university will need to complete one or more senior undergraduate courses at Dalhousie in the winter term to be eligible for admission to the MArch program. For details, refer to Transfer Architecture Students.

MArch admission requires at least four years of university, including architectural studies with a 3.00 grade point average and a B average in design courses. The previous architectural studies must include courses that are equivalent to Dalhousie's BEDS courses. See the Graduate Application page for admission information.

Additional information on the Master of Architecture program is available on these pages on the right:

Master of Environmental Design Studies

MEDS is a one-year graduate program. It offers a Design-Build option that is open to architecture graduates, especially those with a professional BArch degree. For details, refer to the MEDS Design-Build description.

Master of Architecture (Post-Professional)

The School of Architecture normally offers one other graduate program, Master of Architecture (Post-Professional), but applications for admission to this program currently are not being accepted. Students who already have a professional architecture degree can check post-professional programs at other architecture schools in Canada or consult ACSA's guide to architecture schools in North America. Architecture graduates who wish to become registered as an architect in Canada should contact the Canadian Architectural Certification Board to arrange for their professional degree to be certified in Canada.