PO Box 15000
Halifax, NS, Canada B3H 4R2
- social aspects of architectural technology
- BSc, McGill University
- BArch, McGill University
- PhD, Lehigh University
Current Teaching (2019–20)
- ARCH 4003: Design
- ARCH 4112: Architectural History and Theory: 20th Century to Present
- ARCH 5116: Social Theory and Design
- ARCH 5198: Humanities Seminar: Social Theory and Design
- ARCH 9012: MArch Thesis I
- ARCH 9013: MArch Thesis II
Research / Practice Interests
Dr. Cavanagh’s research focuses on the design and construction of innovative building prototypes appropriate to the coastal communities of Nova Scotia. He studies the history of innovation in construction technology and its influence on building design. He is founder of the design/build exchange for North American and European schools of architecture.
- Cavanagh, Ted. "Prototyping and Appropriate Technology: A Comparative Case Study.” In Scales of Sustainable Design, ed. Carmela Cucuzzella and Sherif Goubran. Wilmington, DE: Vernon Press, forthcoming.
- Cavanagh, Ted. Proceedings, "Theory and Design-Build Schools of Thought: Rethinking Architectural Pedagogy." University of Oklahoma, 2020.
- Cavanagh, Ted, Stephen Verderber, and Arlene Oak, eds. Thinking While Doing: Explorations in Educational Design-Build. Basel: Birkhäuser, 2019.
- Cavanagh, Ted. Proceedings, "Live Projects and Theory: A Framework for Building Scholarship." AAE conference, London, 2019.
- Cavanagh, Ted. "Dream or Dilemma: The Unconscious Construction of the Modern House." Journal of Architectural Education 70, no. 2 (2016): 300–10.
Selected Built Works
- Design-build of four grid shells in Louisiana, Arizona, North Carolina, and Cape Breton Highlands National Park (2015–18)
- Design-build of Marché Fermier grid shell, Chéticamp, NS (2013–14)
- Design-build of camera obscura, Cheverie, NS (2011–12)
- Design-build of dining pavilion, Ross Creek Centre for the Arts, Canning, NS (2010)
- Community project, design-build children's theatre, Chéticamp, NS (2004); with Richard Kroeker, Roger Mullin, and Alden Neufeld
Selected Honours and Awards
- Total value of grants: $4,585,000.
- Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council: Partnership Grant (2013–20)
- Partner, Erasmus Mundi Action 3, Technische Universität Berlin (2013–16)
- Research/Creation Grants in Fine Arts (2005–8 and 2011–14)
- Nova Scotia Department of Tourism: Destination Development Grant (2010)
- Cavanagh, Ted, and Alison Evans. dXa silver, Globe and Mail award, best urban design in Canada (2006)
- Cavanagh, Ted, Richard Kroeker, and Roger Mullin. Lieutenant Governor Masterwork, Nova Scotia (2006); collaborative practice, ACSA, Salt Lake City; dXa gold, National Post award, best building in Canada (2005)
Current Service Activities
- Jury, Molson Award, Canada Council and SSHRC (2018)
- Jury, Impact Awards, SSHRC (2015, 2016, 2017)
- CACB architecture accreditation teams: Chair: University of Waterloo (2017), Université de Montréal (2011), Université Laval (2002); Member: University of Toronto (2013), Ryerson University (2010), State University of New York at Buffalo (2009), and ten others
- Conference organizer and co-chair, ACSA Regional Conference, Halifax (2014)