Associate Professor; Director of the School of Architecture
PO Box 15000
Halifax, NS, Canada B3H 4R2
- architecture and the city
- public architecture
- public space
- social role of architecture
- architecture and landscape
- DiplArch, Technical University of Lisbon
- MSc (Arch), University College London
Current Teaching (2019–20)
Research / Practice Interests
Professor Burnay's current design and research focus on architecture and the public realm. They investigate the active role of architecture in a broader social, cultural, economic, and political landscape. His work explores and emphasizes the public relevance of architecture to construct the present, the future, and the past in communities.
- "Colegio Braamcamp Freire: Via del aprendizaje." Ambientes (Chile) 92 (2013): 100.
- "Abordagem pragmática na nova Estação Imagem de Mora." Construir (Portugal) 238 (2013): 18-19.
- "Jarego House." Global Architecture Today (China) 5 (2012): 250-3.
- "Day care and elderly residential centre." Global Architecture Today (China) 5 (2012): 92-7.
- "Cartaxo Cultural Centre." Global Architecture Today (China) 3 (2012): 30-37.
Selected Built Works
- Arraiolos Tapestry Museum, Arraiolos, Portugal (completed 2013)
- Braamcamp Freire High School, Pontinha, Odivelas, Lisbon, Portugal (completed 2012)
- Jarego House, Cartaxo, Portugal (completed 2010)
- Elderly Centre, Carnaxide, Oeiras, Portugal (completed 2008)
- Cartaxo Cultural Centre, Cartaxo, Portugal (completed 2005)
Selected Honours and Awards
- Winner: ArchDaily, Education Building of the Year (2014) - for Braamcamp Freire High School, Odivelas, Lisbon, Portugal
- Winner: World Architecture News (WAN) Award, Education Sector, built buildings (2013) - for Braamcamp Freire High School, Odivelas, Lisbon, Portugal
- First prize: Talatona Conference Centre Design Competition, Luanda, Angola (2013)
- First prize: Megalithic Museum Design Competition, Mora, Portugal (2012)
- First prize: Mirario School Design Competition, Lisbon, Portugal (2012)
Scholarly or Professional Memberships
- Member: Macau Sessions: dialogues on architecture and society
- Member, OA (Ordem dos Arquitectos Portugueses; Portuguese Architects Association)
Current Service Activities
- External Examiner, The Bartlett School of Architecture, University College London
- External examiner for thesis projects at Faculty of Architecture, Technical University of Lisbon
- Projects committee jury member for Portuguese Architecture and Urbanism Academic Review (RAUAP)
- Dalhousie University representative, Canadian Council of University Schools of Architecture