About Remote Learning
We know this is a challenging time for everyone, and we want to assure you that we are all in this together. It is important to continue to take care of yourself and to access university resources when you need them.
For classes that are transitioning from in-person to remote learning, the following FAQs and resources will help you navigate this new process.
How do I access my course?
Most faculty will provide information via Brightspace, Dalhousie’s learning management system. To access Brightspace via dal.ca, the Brightspace link is in the far top right-hand corner of the page.
Log in using your Dalhousie NetID and password. Once in Brightspace, search the ‘My Courses’ section on the left-hand side of the page for your courses.
Your instructor will decide whether the course will meet synchronously or asynchronously.
Synchronous: taking place at the usual day and time that your class met.
Asynchronous: your instructor will leave information for you and you will engage with the course on your own schedule, following the course syllabus and any other instructions your instructor provides.
What will I need?
Most of your instructors will likely use Brightspace to connect with you throughout the remainder of your course. As a result, make sure you:
- Have a device to access Brightspace and an Internet connection;
- Know how to access Brightspace and navigate within the course to access course content;
- Know how to upload assignments to Brightspace for grading;
- Have headphones or earbuds with a microphone (for those who will be attending synchronous classes)
Take a practice exam in Brightspace. This is recommended if you have never taken an exam in Brightspace before. To find the practice exam in Brightspace:
--Find the "Student Support Services" course space in Brightspace
--Click "Assessments" (across the top)
--Click "Quizzes" (in the drop-down)
--Click on "Quiz 1"
--Click the blue "Start Quiz" button
How can I continue to access the Libraries and Student Affairs support services?
Even though classes have been moved to a remote learning environment, we are still here to support you.
The Dal Libraries’ physical locations have closed, but you can access LiveHelp (via chat) and many e-resources at libraries.dal.ca. If you need a laptop, contact firstname.lastname@example.org to request it and we will loan you one.
Student Support Services course space
Student Affairs has created the Student Support Services course to support you on your remote learning journey. Log in to Brightspace and you’ll see a course called “Student Support Services.” There you will find:
- information about the new grading policy
- remote learning resources
- faculty-level academic supports
- academic accommodations FAQ
- practice exam
- information on how to navigate Brightspace
- contact information for Advising and Career Services, including a virtual front desk where you can chat with a staff member
- contact information for writing support
- information about financial resources
- information about library services